We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Grand national on C4

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Did they cock up and miss the start, or did they intend to baffle us?

I didn't realise that the race was underway until the commentary started. They didn't use the usual BBC front on view, but an aerial rear view that left me waiting for the start that had already happened.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I was out so missed it altogether. Who won? We could have had a sweep on that while Brumas was away, to take the palce of his puzzle. Brumas often has a virtual prize for something or other.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I was also lookin' forward to seein' the starter mount his rostrum and wave his flag to start the race :o[

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Who won? A a 66-1 longshot.

I'm not particularly bothered myself, but the Grand National has the same macabre fascination as the first lap of a grand prix where all the carnage happens!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It's not very often a horse with number 35 on it's back [along with the jockey] wins an important race ... the bookies must have made a fortune ... Auroras Encore was 133/1 on the tote if you were lucky enough to back it.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

That's my money lost. Perhaps I shouldn't have bet on some dodgy Romanians dressing up a cow so people thought it was horse.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

No horses killed - they've made it too easy!!

Hardly worthwhile watching any more.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

spider9 does that mean that no jockeys weren't killed either?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

No fatalities in the Grand National itself, but two fatalities earlier at the 2013 Aintree meeting.

One with a heart attack and one with a broken shoulder on an easy fence that was put down to an unlucky landing. Watch out if you break a leg stumbling over a kerb in the future, the new NHS savings may require you to be shot instead...

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

I almost missed the start as I expected it to be on the BBC. After a bit of channel hopping I came across it in C4. So did the BBC miss out in some sort of auction or something? I know it is wrong of me but I expect certain things to be exclusively on the BBC. FA Cup Final, Wimbledon, boat race and such like.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

BTW ... Auroras Encore [with Ryan Mania aboard] has been entered and will be running in the Scottish Grand National at Ayr on Saturday.

Up to now, only the legendary Red Rum has won both [nationals] in the same year [that was in 1974].

PS. [This racing snippet is for information purposes only, as I would not like to encourage anybody to gamble].

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?