We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blair's claim justified or not ?

oresome

Likes # 0

Tony Blair claims that the last election would have been a much closer run thing had he still been PM.

I suspect he's probably right despite the financial mess we were in at the the time (and still are).

Personality rather than policy seems to be the vote winner. Do you agree?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The Bloomberg website has a pretty long summary of the two articles appearing in its hardcopy magazine and the business of the 2010 election ranks only two paragraphs out of about 100.

It is an interesting read but you have to get passed a truly scary picture. I don't know if that's how he looks these days or if someone has tried to make him look like a Bond villain.

I suppose people will believe what they want to believe about him. Either he has built a complex empire of companies to work the tax system or he is just trying to keep prying eyes away from what he does because it can be spun against him.

Would he have done better than Brown? I'm not sure. He was certainly a much better politician than Brown in all areas. But, by 2010, most people were onto his lies about Iraq.

The 2010 campaign would, probably, have pretty much had 'is Blair a war criminal?' at its heart.

We'll never know, of course, so you have to wonder why he even entertained the question. Is he really still that angry at Brown? It could be damaging for Labour because it makes all the past denials about 'no rift' look silly and, perhaps, makes future rifts harder to hide.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Wish this idiot Blair would just fade away gracefully

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

rickf "...this idiot Blair.."

Er, now let me think, how long was he PM, and how many elections did he manage to win?

One might call him many things , but, surely, if he was an idiot where on the scale does that place many other PMs (including the present).

We may have been the idiots, of course, for keeping electing him?? Does that make you feel better?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Now you would need to ask yourself who you would really want in charge today.

Would it be David Cameron or Tony Blair and my money would be on Tony Blair.

I think He would have stood a better chance than Gordon Brown who was not very popular.

A lot of folk forget how good we had it under Tony Blair and now we have David Cameron who just wants to take the last penny off everyone except the rich.

Would T/B have won the last election,Maybe,We will never know.All I know is that there is no one in the Labour party strong enough to take his place.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Of course it would.

No matter what you think of Blair as a party leader, a PM, a politician or even just as a bloke he has that all important thing in this media age - popular charisma.

Brown doesn't and didn't (neither does Milliband).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Just like Maggie Vs Footie 30 years ago.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

If anybody knows of a politician who doesn't tell lies then I will certainly vote for him. I would also be very surprised. Because there is no such animal.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Does WTM even fit that one size?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The electorate wouldn't vote for any politician or party who told it as it is.

Turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'A lot of folk forget how good we had it under Tony Blair'

I wonder if the families of servicemen who died in Iraq would agree.

'If anybody knows of a politician who doesn't tell lies'

That's the trouble. When people believe every politician tells lies it becomes easy for someone like Blair.

Most politicians would say they try and tell the version of the truth that puts them in the best light.

Blair lies were deliberate and especially damaging.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad