We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Does the greed of our politicians never end?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Seemingly our MPs are complaining that dinner expenses rules are not generous enough.

Story.

What exactly do they spend their salaries on? As it seems that nothing that you or I need to buy is not covered by their expenses even down to having moats clean and designer duck houses built. We seem to pay for second homes, I expect these will only be single bedroom residences now the Under-occupation ruling has become law, after all we are all in this together.

We also pay for their furniture including top of the range electrical goods, their travel is generously covered, they can eat in any number of highly subsidised restaurants, get drunk and frequently do in the many subsidised bars. Add all that to well selected jollies, oops, I meant fact finding missions, to far flung lands, not forgetting a gold plated pension scheme and transitional costs should they lose their seat in the house at some point.

But it is not enough it seems and snouts are being raised high enough out of the trough to ask for more.

So what do they actually spend their own money on?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

We used to think of Politicians as honourable men (and women). However their current set of morals would show an Alley Cat in good light.

We have become positively 3rd World in this matter and are no longer in a position to preach to the Middle East and Africa.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'Andrew McDonald, chief executive of IPSA, explained that the expenses are only paid for additional costs incurred when the House of Commons is sitting late.'

Most employees are entitled to 'exs' for doing things outside normal.

Two things to bear in mind. The Telegraph quotes only Labour MPs as being unhappy. Do you think it is only Labour MPs who think there are problems with the system?

Plus, it shouldn't need repeating, the press is looking for stories that support their 'right' to go on abusing their power rather than being regulated.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Obviously they are not familiar with the concept of the humble packed lunch 'Pack-up' that the majority of populace use to save money on mealtimes.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Plus, it shouldn't need repeating, the press is looking for stories that support their 'right' to go on abusing their power rather than being regulated.

And there was me thinking that that the press had been particularly lenient and most supportive of the government in the last few weeks when there was hardly a challenge to any thing that the government has said.

Most employees are entitled to 'exs' for doing things outside normal.

Most employees are entitled to nothing like the 'exs' and other incredibly generous perks enjoyed by politicians.

Do you think it is only Labour MPs who think there are problems with the system?

In no part of my thread did I mention a particular part as they are all as greedy as each other.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'In no part of my thread did I mention a particular part as they are all as greedy as each other.'

My point was that the Telegraph has used the story to try and make Labour look bad.

They'll be pleased you've helped them.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

They'll be pleased you've helped them.

That was posted with tongue firmly in cheek I assume.

But I see you are keeping up your usual selective approach when it comes to criticism of our politicians. There is no doubt that they are handsomely rewarded, on way or another do rather well and to be asking for more at this time just shows the lack of integrity by them. I have no more love for Labour than I do for the Tories most of them should not be allowed to run a bath let alone a country.

AN official report by the Commons authorities also shows that inflation-busting rises in their wages and expenses have doubled the cost of an average MP from £125,000 a year to £250,000 in less than 20 years. Not forgetting the many MP's who have second jobs.

The Times examined the annual earnings of all MPs declared on the register of members’ interests as well as the numbers of hours worked by each.It found that 68 MPs now make more than £10,000 a year each from outside earning - making over £6million between them. A total of 18 MPs earned more than £100,000.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'But I see you are keeping up your usual selective approach when it comes to criticism of our politicians.'

Am I really doing such a bad job of making myself clear?

The Telegraph is seeking to make people think only Labour MPs are selfish and out for all they can get. That is not true but it suits the Telegraph's agenda. It also hopes people might think all Labour MPs are the same.

As has been said many times before, our MPs are our representatives. As such, they should reflect the make-up of our society. Some will be selfish and money-grabbing, some will try hard to do a good job and fail and some will try hard and succeed.

68 MPs earning over £10k is 10.5% of the total. Your thread title should read 'Does the greed of some of our politicians'.

If I were an MP and saw this thread I'd think 'Just another rant from someone who doesn't understand'. If we're ever going to improve our system we need MPs to see criticism and think 'That's a good point. I'd better think about that.'

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It makes me smile, this way some people have of talking about MPs as if they are some kind of separate race of beings.

They aren't of course, they are ordinary people who choose politics as a career, and are elected to serve in Parliament by us. We choose them, based on our own judgement, and we shouldn't be at all shocked or surprised when some of them exhibit the flaws and weaknesses that exist in millions of us. Lots of us, the ordinary people in the street, are greedy, corrupt, and abuse positions of trust to get as much for ourselves as we can.

It's a human failing, this penchant for taking advantage of the system, and it has gone on for as long as we have had elected representatives.

I have always believed that we should try to attract the very best people into politics by offering a very good reward package. These are the people who have responsibility for the policies of our governments, and the laws that govern us - they should be paid very well, and punished hard if they transgress. Instead, we moan constantly about how overpaid we think they are. You get what you pay for in life, and as things stand I can well understand why the most able people in our society choose other occupations over politics.

We're our own worst enemies sometimes.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As with the City and Commerce, the punishment rarely fits the Crime.

I'm still thinking of "pre Senile Dementia" to get one off the hook.

There should be some kind of ruling that states that if a defence used in Court the escape some responsibility/crime or other proves illusory, then the charge should be re-instated.

I also feel, most strongly, that those that allowed the crime/misdemeanour to take place should suffer, not the Shareholders

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

We should not be fining some Power Company or other.

Every Member of the Board and Senior Management Team should be forfeiting 50% of their last 3 years salary and bonuses and their Accountants, the same.

That would sharpen things up a little!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad