We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scottish & Southern

morddwyd

Likes # 0

SSE fined for misselling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22011717

Like to think I did my bit towards this.

A couple of years ago I was in bed one afternoon when the door bell went.

Stuck my head out of the landing window and asked what it was about. Guy told me there was a problem with my power supply.

Got my dressing gown on and struggled downstairs slowly (we are both disabled and have a notice on the door saying so, we also have a ramp, and a wheelchair stored in the porch).

Chap said he was from Scottish Hydro (part of SSE) and their equipment had identified a problem with our power supplies.

I expressed surprise, and said that Scottish Hydro did not supply our power.

He said he knew that, and we were paying too much and they could supply it cheaper.

It was only then I caught on!

I was furious and declined his offer somewhat forcefully!

Complained to the company and received a very self justifying reply, so complained to Ofgem.

£10.5m? Add another zero.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

The directors of a company make decisions about whether or not to pay dividends to shareholders. The government does not have powers to interfere in the conduct of a PLC, other than by legislation.

As for "most large shareholders are large commercial enterprises themselves, who main aim in life is making profit"

Well of course they're interested in making profits - they want to attract and keep their own shareholders. I would have though you would understand that.

Under the terms of the Companies Act 2006 all company directors have an over-arching duty to act in the way they consider, in good faith, would be most likely to promote the success of the company.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

FE

Thank you for the clarification.

But one little thing slightly concerns me. You have mentioned " they want to attract and keep their own shareholders. I would have though you would understand that".

In my lifetime I have held many shares in large companies (BT, BG, BA and many more beside) and also held shares in most of the once well known building societies, even the Automobile Association, when members were classed as shareholders. When I gave up those shares, never once did I receive a letter from any of them, asking why I had given up those shares. And never once did I(in my opinion) consider I counted for anything, because the large institutional investors outweighed and overpowered my minor and perhaps irrelevant shareholding stake.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

If SSE has transgressed, I've no problem with them being fined.

But remember that the shareholder is the one that finances SSE, pays for the infrastructure improvements and takes on board the risk. In return they receive a dividend.

The taxpayer through the government doesn't want to shoulder this cost directly, hence nationalised industries were sold off. If you don't want to accept the cost and associated risk yourself, there has to be an incentive for someone else to do so.

SSE has a yield of 5.7% which is better than a bank account, but allow for inflation and any tax liability and the real return is probably less than half that figure. Of course there's no guarantee you'll ever see your capital again or that the yield will be maintained or that the company won't ask you for more money when the latest infrastructure project overruns.

Anybody fancy a punt on SSE?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

Lenovo has created its own 'Google Glass'