We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Insurance excess on buildings

hssutton

Likes # 0

I've just received a quote for my buildings insurance. The insurance company I use has placed a £10,000 excess against flood damage. This is on a brick built 1960s bungalow. I realize they have been hit very hard over the past year, but since the seawall was installed in 1954/5 we have had no flooding.

Anyone else had an excess on their home as large as this. Obviously I will be looking elsewhere for insurance, but was wondering if this will now be the norm.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Though you have to register, it is free so I suggest you read this Financial Times article. It talks about '000s of people getting £10k excesses.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Thanks FM will do that

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You are not alone with this 'flood damage' excess increase, quite a number of people have had this put on their policies. Other people are now having insurance refusals.

What caught the insurance companies out, was the unexpected areas that have become flood plains of late. Building developers are perhaps using land (with the relaxation of building laws and regulations) that will have future problems, not only the new houses that they are building there, but other properties in or within a radius of the new builds.

I think that it was the BBC Watchdog program, that brought this subject up a few months ago?.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

On looking around for for a different Insurance company, I find most of them have a similar excess for flood damage, a couple of other will not insure for flood damage.

Like this post
cruiser2

Likes # 0

Will have to check my renewal terms in June, If I have problems with flooding, the roofs of houses about half a mile away will be under water as I live on a gentle slope.Also drive slopes down to the road in front of the house

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

"What caught the insurance companies out, was the unexpected areas that have become flood plains of late."

No 'unexpected areas' have become flood plains - a flood plain is the flat area on either side of the course of a river, over which river water may flood in times of excessive rainfall. All rivers have flood plains.

All that has happened in recent years is that heavy rainfall has resulted in an increase in river flooding, but back in 1947 there was severe flooding in the UK due to very heavy and prolonged snowfalls followed by a rapid thaw and rain.

Nowhere has 'become' a flood plain. The existing ones have been flooding more often, and to a greater extent, that's all.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

A friend had a significant increase on her house insurance due to the 'risk of flooding'.

She lives on top of a hill, but had made a claim due to a slow undetected leak from the back of the built in washing machine damaging the cabinets and floor covering.

The insurance company wouldn't budge from this catagorisation.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

I was using 'flood plain' in a general term, I am quite aware as to what a true flood plain is, having spent recently moving horses from fields with two major rivers alongside, about a mile from my home, moving the horses to higher ground or new locations.

Taking in context of what I said regarding developers. Again not very far from my location, there is a long established small village community. Builders have been granted building permission to build on areas that previous building permission was not possible. With this relaxation, it as led to many problems, and one major problem is the old drainage is no longer capable of doing its job, with the end results that areas are now flooding, where this was not happening before. At present there are major discussions in force with the council, the developers and the villager's. Basically its all now down to cost, improvements and compensation, and nobody wants to foot the bill.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Flooding would be less of a problem if flood plain land was not sold off for developers to concrete over so that water drains off instead of soaking in.

The field opposite me looks like a swamp. Five years ago the farmer sold a field next to it called "Watery Butts" , which was called "watery" for a reason. The land was then built up and houses built on it.

He now has flooded land, and I certainly wouldn't buy one of those houses.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Many years ago there was a government grant going strong for land drainage for farmers and land owners of moors etc.

Large ditches were cut through moorland to get rid of excess water, boggy farm land was drained to give way for more usable land.

All these drains went into local streams and large culverts etc., that eventually go into local becks and rivers which is sure to have a large effect on the amount of water that goes into our rivers.

The moors acted like sponges soaking up the water from excess rain, it may not have been as bad as it has been if not tampered with.

Many of the old culverts today cant cope with all the extra water and local Villages get flooded up where I live and local houses are flooded, to me it wasn't thought out enough before they started draining.

I live in the dales where there many thousands of acres of moors and taking away what was natural for hundreds of years cant help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'