We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The odd things you come across on TV whilst at deaths door.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Perhaps not quite deaths door but it certainly felt like it for a while,I experienced new ailment to me,Transient ischaemic attack (TIA), anyway whilst channel hopping trying desperately to find something that has not been repeated more times than an unfulfilled election promise.

We have all seen in the EPG (Electronic program guide), an indication of whether a film contains violence or sex or drug usage and quite often the violence is nothing more than a stamp of the foot, the sex is little more than a kiss and the drug use is some taking an aspirin.

There was a children's film The little Vampire which supposedly contained violence, never found out what it was as it was so boring I fell asleep. But later on there was a program on the channel Yesterday called Nazi Collaborators which had video clips of people being lined up above a trench then shot causing then to fall into the trench, yet in the EPG absolutely no mention of the program would contain violence and actual executions.

I found this to be very odd and have emailed Yesterday asking what the official or legal obligations are.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The inhumane brutalities of Hitler's Nazi Party [on the Jews] should never ever be censored or forgotten about; our children should know and see what happened in mainland Europe just a few decades ago.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The important thing about being at death's door is - DON'T KNOCK.

A friend of mine had a TIA four weeks ago so I've got some idea of what it means both at the time and after. Take the pills, do as you're told and I hope you're better soon.

The Ofcom Broadcasting Code seems to be the place to look for an answer though I can't see anything specific about EPGs. A quick read seems to suggest that there are judgements to be made. When Channel 5 was subject of a complaint about explicit footage of shark attacks it claimed, successfully, that the trailers referred to horrific attacks and the announcement before the programme said it contained footage of shark attacks. Taken together, Channel 5 thought it had done enough to make people aware of what was to come without the need for a specific warning.

I'd guess Yesterday would expect people to have an idea of what sort of content would be in a programme called 'Nazi Collaborators'. You might, with justification, say there are children today who don't know much about WWII.

I just had another look at Ofcom's site.. This report might have more on the issue.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi Chronos the 2nd

Haven't a clue re the tv progs

"We have all seen in the EPG (Electronic program guide),..." I have to question all as I've never heard of it ;) so I'm obviously missing something ;)

Anyway, actually just wanted to take the opportunity to wish you well and hope you are getting over your TIA.

Cheers J

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If you have a modern TV with Freeview or Sky or Virgin then you have access to EPG look on your remote/ s for a button marked Info or even EPG.

It is much the same as a TV page in newspapers it gives details of program's on the channels you have access to.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks