We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Costs involved in owning a Dog

diesel
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a 10 year old Labrador who is a much loved member of our family. He is very obedient with a lovely nature and in relatively good health.

When we acquired him we realized that it would involve us in quite a bit of expenditure to keep him in food and other costs but decided that we could afford it and was well worth it for the pleasure and exercise it would give us.

To give you an idea of the annual costs involved- Specially formulated Labrador food £500 Annual inoculation and examination £40 Flea & Worm preventative products £100 Health & liability insurance (age related) £300

This totals £900 per annum before any hidden or unexpected expenses.

When buying a dog I wonder if people realize how much they will have to spend over possibly up to 15 years? It makes you think when you work it out?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...and 5 houses.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Best not equate women that way - OUCH!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I would never have a dog because of all the moving about when I was younger. I am very glad about that too, because I have never had the experience of losing one either. I must say now that my main view of a dog is that it is just a s... machine. Probably because a lot of people do not clean up after them. There seem to be a lot more dogs now than there ever were.

When I were nobbut a lad, dogs were fed from scraps from the table. Except once when I lived with a Lord and his family for three years during the war. His butler fed the dogs on horse meat every evening but I do not remember them eating anything else.

In Liverpool when I lived in the slums, dogs and cats were not fed at all, except from what they could scrounge from bins and left overs from the table. Then again the only thing that ended up in bins was the ashes from the fire.

I also think there are more dangerous dogs about than in the old days. You only have to look at the vicious looking brutes to be very wary of dogs. Do I believe the owners when they say "Don't worry, he won't hurt you" Not on your Nelly....

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The Bill Sykes look isn't new vogue y'know Bingalau. When did you last see a proliferation stray dogs on the streets, you only have to look at Brumas's cards to see that they're quite rare now.

And most dogs get a healthy portion of horsemeat from proprietary dog food, where do you think all the knackered horses go?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Cat's and dog's eating ashes, things must have been bad. But then again, in those days, a dripping sandwich went a long way, providing you had the bread and dripping.

I always though a nice bit of charcoal resolved stomach upsets. Or a bit of charcoal, coal and wood placed under the front step on New Years Eve brought luck for the following year?.

Strange how subjects change, when discussions or debates commence!.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

" where do you think all the knackered horses go?"

Until recently into beefburgers!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Until recently into beefburgers!"

Reading some media reports this week, it would appear that investigations are still ongoing, as more evidence is coming to light.

On a personal note, I was very recently in touch with one of the larger supermarkets about their CEO's comments and labelling. I got some very interesting information back, excluding of cause, items concerning supplier 'confidentiality'. One thing that came out of my few questions, was the honest approach I received. So this recent scandal as evidently kicked a few backsides, and the next twelve months might bring further results as to what we eat and where from?.

Apologies for going off thread again!.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Thinking about this 'horses in feed' I buy bulk slabs of frozen food for my dog to go with his biscuits and it comes as tripe, beef & T , chicken & T, turkey, rabbit, white fish, lamb, and for the gourmand chicken and liver but I have not yet seen horse.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If they don't think it's necessary to tell us that we're getting horse...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger