We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Costs involved in owning a Dog

diesel
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a 10 year old Labrador who is a much loved member of our family. He is very obedient with a lovely nature and in relatively good health.

When we acquired him we realized that it would involve us in quite a bit of expenditure to keep him in food and other costs but decided that we could afford it and was well worth it for the pleasure and exercise it would give us.

To give you an idea of the annual costs involved- Specially formulated Labrador food £500 Annual inoculation and examination £40 Flea & Worm preventative products £100 Health & liability insurance (age related) £300

This totals £900 per annum before any hidden or unexpected expenses.

When buying a dog I wonder if people realize how much they will have to spend over possibly up to 15 years? It makes you think when you work it out?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Everything in life has a £cash cost to it, but keeping a dog is much cheaper and healthier that the traditional smoking, drinking and whoring vices...

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam we don't have a dog because they are bad for the environment, far better to own a 4x4 or a muscle car enter link description here you dog owners are just killing the planet.

Another link enter link description here

Every body thinks they are just cute puppy's but they are planet destroyers.

Cats are far better

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There are many people that are as affectionate to their 4x4 as we are to a dog, but a 4x4 won't do anything useful like perpetually returning sticks, balls or game all by itself.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam forgot about that part, should have remembered that 4x4's don't fetch sticks but can a dog do this enter link description here

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

But is the 4x4 any good after that for other essential 4x4 tasks like fetching the kids back from school, going around the corner for milk or even driving across a snowy shopping mall car park...?

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Seeing this thread and missing our dog that would have been 15 on Wednesday. I remember back when she was a pup and we just budgeted for the dog, bed, toys and some food after that she was part of the family and spending money on her was same as the kids. In the end she was very ill but we spent a lot of money trying to save her, the pet insurance reimbursed us some but the cost of a dog is out weighed by what they bring into your life.

Noldi

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Dogs also give a handy life line reference to your memory. The average dogs life being about 10 years effectively categorises your life into easily manageable segments of life.

For instance we got a boxer when I was 6 that lived until I was 14, although that was at the shorter end of the canine life span at only 8, that dog seems in my memory to have been the longest living of any because she was always there during my formative years. The last boxer I had lived to 11, but seemed to have lived and died in a flash.

In my case life is divided into 6 parts so far, 2 or 3 more will probably do me...

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

A 4 x 4 can cost £6000 a year in depreciation alone.....

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Strangely all my cars and bikes also provide a lifeline memory reference. There have been 20+ parts with those.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

And there's still dog owners in my town that take them out very early and won't clear up the mess. Walking the gauntlet is very annoying.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do