We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Costs involved in owning a Dog

diesel
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a 10 year old Labrador who is a much loved member of our family. He is very obedient with a lovely nature and in relatively good health.

When we acquired him we realized that it would involve us in quite a bit of expenditure to keep him in food and other costs but decided that we could afford it and was well worth it for the pleasure and exercise it would give us.

To give you an idea of the annual costs involved- Specially formulated Labrador food £500 Annual inoculation and examination £40 Flea & Worm preventative products £100 Health & liability insurance (age related) £300

This totals £900 per annum before any hidden or unexpected expenses.

When buying a dog I wonder if people realize how much they will have to spend over possibly up to 15 years? It makes you think when you work it out?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Try keeping a horse! Mine cost me £3500 last years, he is just a do anything (badly) cob.

I had an new driving harness a few years ago and that cost nearly £2000.

My dog runs cheaply as I buy his food in bulk from my feed merchant, but I still get his vet's bill - cheaper the than hoses flu and tet - that's over £100 pounds with the call out and his insurance is £450.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I'm same as wiz-king only we have 2 and sometimes 3 horses at a time and I have only ever worked out once how much I spend in a year and nearly had a heart attack.

Don't work it out just enjoy your dog other wise you will just become paranoid.

Like this post
diesel

Likes # 0

carver

As I said in my post I can afford the cost and am not worried or paranoid about it. I was just wondering how many folk go into dog ownership without giving the cost any thought?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I seem to recall (I think) sunnystaines bringing up the subject of having a dog, and the thread went on for quite a time.

A rescued dog we had a few years ago, having obtained him from the RSPCA as a 1 year old, until he died at about 13 years old, brought some reality on costing. Shortly after we had him, he started to have fits, something that the RSPCA had missed, and possibly the previous owner didn't want to mention. The vet bills alone were fairly high, and no insurance company would issue any cover for him. One thing we soon learned, was to get the drug prescriptions from the vet, then buy direct all the various drugs and other needs from a vet supply chain.

At present we have two fairly powerful crossbreed dogs, and with bulk food purchases and just the annual vet jabs, I would think both survive very well on less than £800/£900 per annum.

Going on what costs wiz-king says, around my neck of the woods is what you could perhaps call 'horsey country'. With the rise in costs, many of the horses are being virtually given away "to good homes only".

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

In the past, we've had cats and I can't say I ever thought about the cost before we got them. Nor did I really notice it when we did. A few quid on the weekly shop for cat food didn't come to mind as £X per annum.

I'm sure the animal welfare organisations would have details of how many animals get abandoned because of cost. Whether that is because the cost is higher than expected or was never considered is harder to know.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

When I was a lad, medical insurance for a pet was unheard of and pets seemed healthier and didn't appear to have the genetic problems they suffer now from intensive breeding.

A rare visit to the vets cost a manageable few pounds, but there wasn't the fancy premises and reception areas and nurses and the vet rode to work on a bike.

The dog's dinner didn't come in fancy packaging at the supermarket either, it was the leftovers from the dinner table.

A reminder to those that think they are hard done by today that we have a long way to fall, and that includes our pampered pets.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Financial cost is only part of it, they cost far more in Love and Training etc

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've never owned a dog [just looked after Jasper for a night and a day day], anyway, I met a chap on the back of the bus recently, he was holding a little white Siberian husky puppy in his arms ... he [the chap] told me that it was one of a litter of five puppies, and he was certain of selling the little dog for £1500 quite legitimately ... because it [the puppy] had blue eyes [and dogumentation certificates] ... it was all worth while!

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Pity me, I have 11 dogs at the moment. Just paid £177 for a tooth extractiuon and a general clean.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

oresome has an interesting point. Mongrels have a better immune system than pedigrees as when I were a lad it was a mongrel or nothing. When the time came for the end, and it wasn't easy, it was to the Vets, then just pay a donation.

I could never stay there to comfort it when the injection was applied.

The last one we had as a family, with my mother and father, I was 20. The dog was old and in a bad way and I had to do the deed.

As a 20 year old man I cried, but in private. Strange how we bond with our animals.

Now, if it had been a cat, .....

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...