We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53 if he has to, that was his response after being asked that question on a radio programme enter link description here so why don't you help him along and sign this petition https://t.co/knCCYVKTZM

He live rent free in a £2million country house… with at least FOUR spare bedrooms so put your money were your mouth is springs to mind.

He's the same person who said that disabled Remploy workers were “not doing any work... just making cups of coffee”.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

An interesting comment Michael Heseltine made yesterday on the benefits row that I heard on the radio was that whatever the opponents to the changes have to say about it now, it's unlikely that they would reverse any of them, once the changes are made. The between the lines meaning being the important point.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Flakk999 I'd forgot about that one and can remember it now so thanks for link to it.

These things take me back to when I was a kid, up at 3 every morning to do milk round , finish in time for paper round then off to work for 14 hours and finish in time to do night paper round.

Eh they were the good old days.

What we have now is some thing that a lot of people growing up now will never have, inflation proofed final pensions, forget it (unless you are an MP) JOBS FOR LIFE, forget it.

We had some thing some of these people never had and will never have and that was work every where ever you looked, walk out of one job into another same day if you wanted.

fourm member do not get on your high horse about how I should look after my eldest son, I have already spent 17 years looking after my other son who is autistic and fighting the system to get the benefits he needs so that he can survive in this world.

Have you ever looked after any one with autism or gone through the pain of watching a healthy working 30 year old adult with a family go in the space of a week to one who can hardly stand on his own.

When you do THEN tell me how to spend my money.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

carver

Since I can answer yesish to your question I could take up your offer to tell you how to spend your money but I won't.

What I will do is to say that I think it is typical of what has gone wrong with the benefits system that you see no contradiction between complaining that not enough is being paid out whilst revealing that you keep some very expensive animals.

That would be like me expecting to be able to take a foreign holiday while the state pays for my wife to go into a nursing home.

There's a problem all governments face. That is how to make sure people who need benefits know what is available without creating a culture where people look to the benefits system as the first stop when something goes wrong.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

forum member "There's a problem all governments face. That is how to make sure people who need benefits know what is available without creating a culture where people look to the benefits system as the first stop when something goes wrong."

Good point. But it's rarely been implemented. Who's job is it to let the vulnerable know what their rights are to benefits? I think it should be social services but to be quite honest in all the years I've dealt with them from various situations they're not fit for purpose.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

As jb has said there are jobs available in this country. If foreigners can come here and get them they are available. Did I hear somewhere that there are more foreigners on the way from other countries who have joined the European Union? Our work-shy members will be glad that there is more of an excuse than ever as they will be competing in the jobs market too.

I have said this before on other threads, but when I worked as a pub manager 90% of my daytime customers were on benefits and yet could spend all day drinking in pubs. There is obviously something wrong with the system when that is the norm. It was obvious when talking to them that they had no intention of working and were quite open about that fact. The word "work" was a dirty word to them.

That is why the Polish workers can come here and earn money to send it home to relatives to enable them to come to this country to work and so it goes on ad-infinitum. It's nothing new either as the Chinese have been doing it for yonks. They work hard and long hours and succeed. What a pity we can't export some of the people who won't work to labour camps in Tibet.

I know I talk a lot of nonsense sometimes but it does make your blood boil to see these scroungers stealing from the state.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

fourm member again you are making this into a personal argument about me and my family, I am talking about the thousands who will be hit by this and just demonstrated one family I am aware of, also the fact that Iain Duncan Smith is a complete idiot when it comes to knowing when he should keep his mouth shut.

But you have to turn it into a personal vendetta, as you keep saying in past postings, when you make it personal you know you have lost the argument.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

"it does make your blood boil to see these scroungers stealing from the state."

Hear, hear! Precisely and succinctly put.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

carver

It is not personal to say that your attitude illustrates what has happened in general to attitudes towards benefits in this country.

Do you deny that a lot of people see the government i.e. the benefit system as the first port of call when something goes wrong rather than looking to their family?

You said yourself that if you help your son, he will lose benefits. Surely, that is saying you think the benefit system should carry the burden.

Complaining about an alleged personal attack whilst writing 'the fact that Iain Duncan Smith is a complete idiot' rather demonstrates your inability to see yourself.

In any case, as I posted yesterday, 'IDS is one of the few modern politicians who have shown such a sincere commitment to tackling the problems of social alienation and welfare dependency'.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My son is far better off than me. Should I give up my Council Tax Rebate and ask him to pay the full bill for me?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I thought this thread was about IDS and how he can live on £53.00, and perhaps (in the radio link) peoples Human Rights to employment.

We have suggestions about people making provisions for later life, or perhaps returning to conscription so forcing people to join the ever decreasing armed forces.

There's even been the suggestion about Polish people (and possibly other eastern bloc), apparently rushing here foe employment.

There is also the suggestion that people may have full time jobs and can still squeeze in a part-time job. In reality, I recall the days when you could walk out on one job, and walk into another an hour or so later. Those times are long gone, and perhaps more so, when our UK industries moved the plant and equipment 'overseas' for more profit. We are now hearing that some of these companies, are seriously considering returning back to the UK, because their bubble as burst on their overseas adventure.

Yes the rules and regulation certainly want tightening up with regards to benefits and employment, because as already been pointed out. Some families have generations of unemployed in their midst, not for the want of a job, but the possible leisure of not bothering to have a job.

Perhaps we should have listened to Tebbitt a number of years ago, when he was ridiculed for saying something on the lines of 'get on your bike'?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'