We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53 if he has to, that was his response after being asked that question on a radio programme enter link description here so why don't you help him along and sign this petition https://t.co/knCCYVKTZM

He live rent free in a £2million country house… with at least FOUR spare bedrooms so put your money were your mouth is springs to mind.

He's the same person who said that disabled Remploy workers were “not doing any work... just making cups of coffee”.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

rdave13

Ask the future employees if they will have your confidence or benefits?

I don't need to, because I know that they wont! I am fortunate, I realise that. I am part of the generation born a decade after the end of WW2 that has seen the best of the country. I have never been unemployed, but I have never rested on my laurels either.

We have become soft and weak in this country, the culture of living off the state has become engrained into the psyche of the nation, vast swathes of the working class have become parasites feeding off of the corpse of a once great country.

It was John Fitzgerald Kennedy who once said:

"ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country."

That is the essence of what ails us here, the work ethic has gone. People expect to be given money as if it were some God given right, the concept of work to them is a dirty word.

As I said earlier, before Beveridge you either worked or starved, that was the option. I suggest some people dwell on that truth, and be thankful nobody is suggesting the same option today!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Flak999 , your mentality worries me.

On the one hand you say you are fortunate. As me, born a decade after WW2.

There IS NO WORK AVAILABLE IN THIS COUNTRY ANY MORE.

My adopted son tried for an apprenticeship to be a plumber, ended up in Afghanistan as a bloody soldier.

So don't go the bloody uppity 'I can do it' way of thinking because it's no longer possible.

Get off your pedestal.

You were lucky so be bloody grateful and stop being so pompous.

Today is hard and I've got to think of a 10 year old son and 8 year old daughter and their future.

As you said " I am fortunate".

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

This should make some of you happy about the old times enter link description here just scroll down for video.

Why don't we just bring back work houses and floggings, even better compulsory suicide for disabled, should save a bit of money.

Well if they aren't fit for work what's the point in spending money on them.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"IS NO WORK AVAILABLE IN THIS COUNTRY ANY MORE"

True for many, but how are most Poles in jobs (over 600000 of them)?

What about TA as an extra income for fit people?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Flak999

It is becoming tiresome to listen to your "I am the greatest" rants - what on earth has your new Audi and foreign trips got to do with anything ( and also your pathetic 'name dropping' from the film industry!).

We have been lucky living through times of plenty work and superannuated jobs - so why not ease up your idiotic rhetoric about people getting work, when times are now so vastly different.

You are clearly in the "I'm all right Jack" category, as I am myself (my 'moonlighting' was in property development), but I pride myself in not being someone who believes all claimants are workshy layabouts.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

rdave13

'There IS NO WORK AVAILABLE IN THIS COUNTRY ANY MORE.'

Yes, there is.

Finding the right job is difficult.

Having the right skills for a rapidly changing world is difficult.

Having to make tough choices about disrupting your life to accept a job some way away is difficult.

But, there are people making those choices every day and, as a result, finding work.

Simply shouting 'There IS NO WORK AVAILABLE IN THIS COUNTRY ANY MORE' simply invites politicians to shout back 'LOOK HARDER'.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

carver

This one is better :-) Capstick comes home

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

spider9

It is becoming tiresome to listen to your "I am the greatest" rants

I wasn't aware you could hear my prose? Your computer must be one of those special expensive ones! (I must see if I can get one!)

So far as I am aware nobody is forcing you to participate in this debate? Perhaps if it annoys you so much you should concentrate on your property portfolio!

Try not to take yourself so seriously, I don't! :-)

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

spider9 "It's so easy to categorise 'scroungers' and then hope people will see all claimants as such - the proportion of such people is comparatively small - yet it seems government policy is dictated by it."

Just to balance things slightly: One in eight on sickness benefit is truly too ill to work. Almost a million drop benefits claim to avoid new test.

Has society gone too soft? Good question. When I was born after ww2 we didn't know where the next meal was coming from. My mum had to feed the five of us on 50p pw. We all survived.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Good article from Brendan O'Neill in the Telegraph today. One particular paragraph in his blog stands out:

"In truth, the real dimwittery in this debate is among the confused and angry middle-class warriors for welfarism. They have simply failed, and failed miserably, to reckon with one of the iron laws of modern politics – which is that the more reliant you are on the welfare state, the more experience you have of it, the less you love it. And by extension, the further removed you are from the welfare state, the less experience you have of it, then the more you can fantasise about its virtues and grow to love it – or at least to love an imaginary version of it derived from watching Casualty and reading Polly Toynbee columns."

Brendan O'Neill is editor of the online magazine spiked and is a columnist for the Big Issue in London.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more