We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53 if he has to, that was his response after being asked that question on a radio programme enter link description here so why don't you help him along and sign this petition https://t.co/knCCYVKTZM

He live rent free in a £2million country house… with at least FOUR spare bedrooms so put your money were your mouth is springs to mind.

He's the same person who said that disabled Remploy workers were “not doing any work... just making cups of coffee”.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

spider9

If you read carefully what I said (instead of quoting me out of context) you will see that what I actually said was:

"It is provided to you to tide you over, to help you get by. It is not supposed to aid you to live in the lap of luxury because if it did what incentive would there be for you to go out and find work?"

So you see I understand what welfare is intended for, it is a safety net nothing more! As for my "gold plated job" that job entailed working a 42 hour week for thirty years working a mixture of nights, weekends, and bank holidays. Not seeing my family and friends for special occasions and serving the people of London by saving them from fires, road traffic accidents, chemical incidents and plane crashes.

I attended the Southall train disaster the Windsor castle fire and other tragedies small and large. I did all this because I enjoyed the job and wanted to give something back to society by helping my fellow man.

So yes in that respect I was lucky, I had a fulfilling career. But nothing stays the same, times change as do circumstances and people must come to realise that the state owes them nothing.

To be a success they must strive and work hard for themselves and take the satisfaction in a job well done, and then be thankful that if they do fall upon hard times the state will help them to get back on their feet.

It will not however lead them through life giving them handouts that they have not earned and do not deserve!

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

No research post? I wouldn't know. Maybe it's you who should keep track of what you have said to people. My, we are in a muddle.

Jones has cancelled now anyway.

Now, having surely heard it all from some truly awful ostriches, I'm out of this one.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Jones has cancelled now anyway.

Perhaps channel four thought he wouldn't be a credible interviewee, given his extreme left wing bias!

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

More likely Labour knew he would trash them and the Tories in the same breath, so they relented and sent someone, as the segment will now feature and MP from The ConDems and Labour.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

Since I don't have a research post of any sort never mind one that might have some relevance to this topic, I don't know what I might have posted that made you think otherwise.

If you can provide further detail I'll happily show you where your misunderstanding arose.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

fourm member £71 is jsa paid for over 25yr olds,i think under 25yr olds is £56 Out of my £71 ive £12 towards rent because of this bedroom tax and £4.75 because the unemployed are now been forced to pay council tax leaves me a sum of £54.25 Gas,electric,mob phone,tv services,car insurance,petrol and food out of £54 a week Flak999 I find your comments condescending to say the least,i have never been out of work but my industry over the last ten years has shrunk by 75% so its difficult to find work ive applied for jobs at supermarkets who will not take me on because they think ill work there short term and move as soon as a job in my industry becomes available Thats the feedback i get from a lot of employers "too skilled you will get bored" "lap of luxury" are you joking? add up how much your gas,electric,tv licence and water rates and food bill is a week? can you do all that for £54?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

fourm member I now realise that you have lost any credible argument as soon as you stared to be "again" very personal with your arguments.

"The biggest problem with the benefits system is that people think the state should deal with problems and leave them free to spend their money on luxuries."

Could not agree with you more, all these rich MP,s who think that a bottle of £50 plonk should be theirs instead of going to the needy, and why should a rich person pay more tax just so some welfare scrounger can heat his home or feed the kids.

If you had a child (which you don't) on benefit then you would know that any money given to him as a gift should be declared as it would be classed as an income.

Any money I have or may have has got nothing to do with you, will say it's a few bob thought as I have to keep the horses, 4 vehicles and 2 cats happy, never mind the wife and children.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

Flak999

"So you see I understand what welfare is intended for, it is a safety net nothing more! As for my "gold plated job" that job entailed working a 42 hour week for thirty years working a mixture of nights, weekends, and bank holidays. Not seeing my family and friends for special occasions and serving the people of London by saving them from fires, road traffic accidents, chemical incidents and plane crashes."

That's usually 3 days on and 3 days off, isn't it? Many of the firepersons I know had second jobs ( moon lighting )in which they had a regular second job on the 3 days off. Isn't that why they wanted to change the terms and conditions of the serving firemen so they worked 5 days a week instead of 3.

One such fireman, who has just retired after being found out, had a second job. He clocked on in the morning, took the fire service van ( with logo on ) 5 miles to a coach depot. Then did the school run both morning and afternoon. So that is 20 miles a day in service vehicle, 5 days a week and a nice cash earner at the end of the week.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

fourm member

Since you have mentioned many times you look after your disabled wife, can you tell us do either of you claim benefits? As you are 61 will you take up your bus pass later in the year and will you refuse the winter fuel allowance or will you take all as you are entitled to them?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"And you have been very lucky flak999"

Didn't realise that he'd won all he has in a raffle.

I thought he'd worked for it, like me.

I get pretty fed up when people tell me I'm lucky because I've got a pension, or my own house.

It wasn't luck, I worked hard and long for both, and my council tax and the tax on my pension now goes to subsidise those who can't be bothered, or who think I, and other taxpayers, owe them a living.

When I was compulsorily retired from my £23k engineering job I took a job emptying pigswill, and was glad of it.

Some, but by no means all, of today's benefit claimants could do with a bit of cold. wet and hungry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...