We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53 if he has to, that was his response after being asked that question on a radio programme enter link description here so why don't you help him along and sign this petition https://t.co/knCCYVKTZM

He live rent free in a £2million country house… with at least FOUR spare bedrooms so put your money were your mouth is springs to mind.

He's the same person who said that disabled Remploy workers were “not doing any work... just making cups of coffee”.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I think that I am finally understanding what Iain Duncan Smith is trying to achieve, it's the drugs problem amongst these benefit scroungers.

It's that statement he made in early 2013 for saying poor parents will spend money on alcohol and drugs rather than their children.

See he's trying to solve the drug and alcohol problem that poor people have.

enter link description here one bit about it

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

None of which answers my question.

I never once accused you of being a Tory, and I have never lied herein. I'll have an apology now before this gets very unfortunate.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I have to say that I agree with FM on this subject. The welfare bill in the UK has risen to astronomic proportions, mostly because of the last Labour governments spend without a thought policies.

The coalition is in an invidious position, whatever they do to attempt to put the countries finances back into a stable position will invite criticism. I worked in the public sector all of my life and my wife does the same, she has not had a pay rise for four years and will be limited to 1% for foreseeable future.

However neither of us has claimed a penny in state benefits! What we get we have earned, we live on what we have, if we cannot afford to buy something with the money we have earned we do not have it. It's as simple as that.

I'm afraid it cuts no ice with me for all of these poor downtrodden people who live on state benefits, to whine about their handouts being cut. Handouts that I, and millions like me are paying for through our taxes. No one has given me a council house, I chose to save up and buy my own house! No one pays my council tax for me, I pay my own!

Unfortunately for them, the feckless and the work shy, the gravy train has hit the buffers, now they will find that they can't just sponge off the rest of the taxpaying public anymore for their Sky TV subscriptions, their cigarettes and their special brew, no more council homes for life.

They will have to do what the rest of us do every day, get up and go out to work. Pay their way for what they want out of life and not just expect the rest of us to hand it to them on a plate!

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

And you have been very lucky flak999. I wonder when you will wake up and see that you. too, have bought the propaganda hook, line and, indeed, sinker.

Divide and conquer.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Just to add my thoughts There is absolutely no way anyone can live on £53 a week,im on £71 and its near impossible I was made redundant before Christmas and have struggled to find any sort of work,have never been on benefits in my 34 year working life Its an eye opener and I for one want to work,yes 90% of my rent is paid for I have to find £12 a week to make the rent due to bedroom tax, and yes 75% of the council tax is paid for so I have to find £4.75 a week for that Im on £71 jobseekers allowance,that has to pay gas,electric,mobile,tv services,insurance,fuel,and food,dont drink don't smoke don't even go out Ive stripped both my mobile and my tv services to bare minimum and still its a struggle

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

So when you posted 'instead of trotting out divide and rule Tory myths' you didn't mean that to be taken as accusing me of being a Tory?

Arguing that is spin worthy of the worst politician.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

I don't buy in to propaganda, my world view is based on what I see and have seen going on around me. I spent thirty years in the fire service working in some of the most depressed deprived areas of London, I have seen how the benefit culture maps out the lives of some of the working class poor, and believe me it is not a pretty sight!

The welfare state was devised as a safety net to stop people who through no fault of their own have fallen on hard times. It is supposed to be the last port of call, not the first! We have inculcated this something for nothing culture in our young, their attitude of why should I work for minimum wage when I can claim more from benefit by sitting at home watching Jeremy Kyle, is the cancer that has swept through those of a certain social class.

They aspire to nothing except the arrival of the next Giro with which to buy their staples of beer and fags. During the fat years we could avoid tackling this pariah culture, but no longer is this an option.

What do you think these people did before the advent of the welfare state? They worked, because they had to, the alternative was starvation! Our cosseted benefit claimants of today would do well to reflect on that hard fact!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

mart7

There is actually quite a bit of confusion about where the £53 comes from. You say you are on £71 for everything. Most accounts suggests the £53 is after rent, council tax and utilities. In that case, your £71 is close to the £53.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

mart7

I feel for you, It must be very depressing to find yourself made redundant. But you say you want to work, that is good because the help you are receiving is not easy to live on. But then, it's not supposed to be is it? It is provided to you to tide you over, to help you get by. It is not supposed to aid you to live in the lap of luxury because if it did what incentive would there be for you to go out and find work?

It is a safety net nothing more, I hope you will find work soon as I am sure you don't want to remain living on state handouts for a moment longer than necessary?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia