We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53 if he has to, that was his response after being asked that question on a radio programme enter link description here so why don't you help him along and sign this petition https://t.co/knCCYVKTZM

He live rent free in a £2million country house… with at least FOUR spare bedrooms so put your money were your mouth is springs to mind.

He's the same person who said that disabled Remploy workers were “not doing any work... just making cups of coffee”.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I fully realise this is just an internet forum so it doesn't have to bear any resemblance to reality.

That's why it is OK for people to go around name-calling without having to stop and examine the reality.

carver delights in reminding everyone that I have no children and that means that in something from 0 to 40 years time I don't care what becomes of the world.

But, it seems, those who should care about the future only do so as long as current unsustainable spending goes ahead.

Next time there's a story about some family of ten on benefits I wonder if anyone will moan about politicians doing nothing to reduce abuse of the system.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

*" so as long as current unsustainable spending goes ahead."*

I don't think anyone doubts there has to be less spending, but it's the way of doing it that matters. To be giving further tax cuts to the very wealthy at the same time as cutting benefits for the poor is simply very badly thought-out policy, by unthinking toff-boys - who then stand up and pretend they could manage on the same amounts.

Surely they realised how this would play among 'ordinary' people?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

The argument for cutting the 50% rate (or, in truth, not making what Labour introduced as a temporary measure more permanent) is that the total tax take will grow.

That's a perfectly rational principle. A US comedian recently made a DVD of his latest show and sold it for $5 instead of the $20 such things normally sell for. He made a huge amount of money (and gave most of it away) whereas previously he'd made almost nothing.

But, of course, it is important that the principle works. By 2015, there will be the chance to see if the package of measures taken on tax for high earners has increased the amount of tax they pay, collectively.

(You have to look at the whole package. Too many people are moaning about the welfare changes without even mentioning the increased personal allowance.)

And, far from 'unthinking toff-boys', IDS is one of the few modern politicians who have shown such a sincere commitment to tackling the problems of social alienation and welfare dependency.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

fourm member You were the one who brought up the subject about you not having children so do not blame me when I sat you can not understand various things regarding children.

fourm member I can give you one instance how this new legislation will affect one family, my son.

For the past 18 months he has been out of work because of a medical condition, in that time he has been given a new 3 bed council house because he has a 9 year old boy and a 5 year old girl, he now loses £14 a week benefit because of the new bed room rules + he now has to pay a contribution toward council tax of about £200 a year.

He also under went a surgical operation to try and help with his medical condition which didn't go as planned and now he is deaf in one ear and has a balance problem.

Since the operation he has undergone work assessment and been declared fit for work even though he has trouble standing still and even walking is a problem because of lack of balance, you see he can still press a button with one finger.

So we have one family who through no fault of theirs is now down by about £18 a week and you say that this will solve the current unsustainable spending.

But some 13,000 millionaires will get a £100,000 tax cut.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Next time there is a family of ten on benefits, I wonder if fourm member will actually try to understand the situation, instead of trotting out divide and rule Tory myths.

I also wonder how that research post is working out for him.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I'm poor, but I belong to a rich country (how many millionaires does the UK have at present??), so how about a slightly more equitable share for me?"

Ah! Communism (From each according to his means, to each according to his needs).

Yes, that works.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

Well, I know what I won't do. I won't post absolute nonsense because I don't have a sensible point to make.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

You often do, fourm member. Maybe this will help you:

http://soundcloud.com/biggy-ziggy/owen-jones-the-world-tonight

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I'm not sure what part of what I said was nonsense. Maybe you had some difficulty understanding it.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

Perhaps you would care to summarise the salient points of the discussion to indicate your understanding of the issues.

Or, of course, you can just push lies and hope that works.

I don't get upset when somebody accuses me of being a Tory. I know that just means they don't have a rational point to make.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...