We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53 if he has to, that was his response after being asked that question on a radio programme enter link description here so why don't you help him along and sign this petition https://t.co/knCCYVKTZM

He live rent free in a £2million country house… with at least FOUR spare bedrooms so put your money were your mouth is springs to mind.

He's the same person who said that disabled Remploy workers were “not doing any work... just making cups of coffee”.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

You refer to a World in Action program, pity that you didn't refer to some of the other television programs that well known celebrities took part in, then failed the test.

I do believe in one series, one particular well known Lord was found to have a good nights sleep at one of London's top hotel's,by slipping in the back way and out of sight, instead of 'roughing it'. When found out, he gave up, objected and left the week long exercise.

I cannot provide a link, but I am sure there is one out there?.

The same goes for the "we are all in this together" brigade, who show their true and loyal convictions, when they spend a few hours in a sleeping bag, in the freezing cold,usually with the media around them, then go home a few hours later to a warm bed.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Funny isn't it that you have Iain Duncan Smith and George Osborne saying how some thing like £56 and £71 is enough to live on but when you ask an MP how much is enough this is the answer enter link description here

It's a hard life being an MP,

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

IDS is a reprehensible cretin who does not believe that saying "of course they should work fro free we pay their benefits" is mutually exclusive and does not work in conjunction with "it's not slave labour, it's work experience, we don't pay them".

Like I said a few days ago, they're a flexible bunch these Labour researchers...some would wonder if they really are what they say they are...

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1223720-iain-duncan-smith-s-explosive-row-with-james-o-brien?utmcampaign=detailpage&utmcontent=retweet&utmmedium=social&utmsource=twitter#t=13m4s

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

that amount would hardly cover gas/electric/rates let alone money for food.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Oh, but we must save money, sunnystaines, regardless of who starves, kills themselves, attempts to kill themself, dies of "natural causes" after the withdrawal of benefits. Come on, wake up and smell the economics!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The link provided by Joseph Kerr is well worth a lengthy listen, because in my view, it goes to show how some politicians are out of touch with reality, and solely rely on 'supposed' statistics for their answers.

I might have got it wrong, but IDS seems to perhaps suggest in the interview, that a two month trial scheme in a job, will most likely secure an employment future for "a job to be built around them". I seem to recall the old days of YTS, and I knew companies that tried YTS out, but it proved more of an headache for the employer's than a benefit.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

For two "leading" politicians like Osborne and Smith to issue such crass, thoughtless, statements verges on simple incompetance and they deserve all the ridicule now being heaped upon them (fourm member excepted, of course!).

If they really say they could manage to live on those sums for more than a week, then they are being very economical with the truth!! Good Lord they'd pay more than £50 for a 'cheap' bottle of plonk at dinner - but then they both got their high earner tax cuts from yesterday so they can now look down on people from an even greater financial height!

People are accepting there needs to be 'belt-tightening' in these times, but to not only suffer hardship, but then have Tory toffs saying things like this, is very insulting.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I heard this interview and the sill £53 a week was not seriously discussed. The point that IDS is making , in general, is "Should a person on benefits receive more than the £25, 000 average wage"? There are some families who have had no one in paid employment for several generations, which surely cannot be right? I wish, somehow , that the two main parties could have a discussion and try to harmonise this issue, which is a very difficult one, and the "real" poor deserve not to be pawns in their silly political games. The 45p vs 50p tax for the super rich is not going to solve the issue - there are too few of them, and some will move away if taxes are too high in the UK. The problem is that we, the average people, are unwilling to pay a lot more in tax to support the so - called benefit scroungers.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

"they live in some dream land where people can say 'I'm poor, give me money' and it will just appear."

Perhaps they are saying "I'm poor, but I belong to a rich country (how many millionaires does the UK have at present??), so how about a slightly more equitable share for me?"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made