We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

So Iain Duncan Smith can live on £53 if he has to, that was his response after being asked that question on a radio programme enter link description here so why don't you help him along and sign this petition https://t.co/knCCYVKTZM

He live rent free in a £2million country house… with at least FOUR spare bedrooms so put your money were your mouth is springs to mind.

He's the same person who said that disabled Remploy workers were “not doing any work... just making cups of coffee”.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

let him prove it if he's stupid enough to say it - while he's at it, Osborne can do the same on £71 a week.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Is that £53 a week got to pay for housing rates etc, or is it what's left after other living benefits are paid?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam I don't think it really matters, because you could live on that for a week but as soon as you had to buy any thing then that money has gone, try buying a pair of shoes or a pair of trousers then see how much is left.

Try and heat your home for a week and that can take up a big %

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"I don't think it really matters"

It does if the person gets housing, rent rebates and various other benefit monies that bring the total nearer to, or more than what someone working and keeping a house and family does on the minimum wage.

There's not enough information to know if it can be done or not, which is what the idiot IDS should have said to avoid national ridicule.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

IDS is an arse, so is Osborne.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The link says 'Years ago, Mathew Parris, then a Conservative MP, lived on benefit for a week for TV programme World in Action' so it clearly is possible.

Duncan-Smith's reply is the important thing. 'If I had to I would'.

People signing that petition (and since when did it become OK to canvas support for a political issue here?) think they live in some dream land where people can say 'I'm poor, give me money' and it will just appear.

Wake up and smell the economics. We can't afford to have want we want.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

What a truly useful contribution to the debate.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I also read the media reports on this subject, and his other comments on Remploy. It really goes to show how people who live in ivory towers, view others, and perhaps more so with some of our so called public elected politicians.

Apparently this is a person who receives £1.600 per week, plus other expenses and incentives, so dropping down to £53.00 per week (possibly paid fortnightly) shouldn't be difficult.

Perhaps someone should send Duncan Smith the whole set of the television series, when some millionaires returned to deprived areas, ans saw things for themselves first hand?.

Perhaps going off subject, but yesterday evening I was watching the Parliamentary Select Committee interview with Osbourne and the recent budget changes. The supposedly new idea for the purchase of homes came in for some heavy discussion. All ready it seems to be flawed. The house-builder's are for it, but will the public be able to afford it?.

Nothing like living in a real world?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If this is now a 'Do we think IDS is an arse poll', then I agree, he has been for a while...

Like this post  
carver

Likes # 0

fourm member please try to be serious,

"The link says 'Years ago, Mathew Parris, then a Conservative MP, lived on benefit for a week for TV programme World in Action' so it clearly is possible."

I can or could if I did it correctly live on £10 for a week but we are not talking about a week we are talking about a year, mind you no bills would be paid.

The top earners have just had their tax cut from 50% to 45% not bad.

Mr Mistoffelees, I have to agree with fourm member and say that it was a very good choice of words for a couple of idiots. Keep up the good work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite