We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should spelling,punctuation and grammar be part of the curricculam?

hssutton

Likes # 0

Schools could refuse to administer an exam in spelling, punctuation and grammar for 11-year-olds in England because it risks promoting a culture of “teaching to the test” at the expense of providing a broad curriculum.

Often I'm unable to understand the written word in various forums due to the lack of punctuation grammar and spelling. Of course this may be down to my age and the onset of senility.

I guess my real question is are the NUTs nuts?

Teachers call for boycott

Like this post
BSOD

Likes # 0

morddwyd

There were jobs, but they weren't for everyone. You took what was offered, with gratitude.

I and my peers found no problems. We left school in 1968 and all had jobs lined up before we officially left school. I had to ask my headmaster for permission to officially leave early in which to take up a position in an office as a trainee accountant. the company wanted me even before my o levels were announced.

Every job I have taken since then I have virtually walked into the following Monday. My current employment started in 1992, I am still working here.

You took what was offered

Perhaps you did not have the qualifications or experience required.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

morddwyd, don't know if I agree with all your points but I certainly do about respect for the teacher. I was fortunate enough to go to a very good Grammar School. We had to respect the teachers and accept the strict discipline. May sound like an old fool to todays youth but I think it is how it should be. I can understand todays teachers losing morale as they can't maintain any discipline without being sued or stabbed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014