We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should spelling,punctuation and grammar be part of the curricculam?

hssutton

Likes # 0

Schools could refuse to administer an exam in spelling, punctuation and grammar for 11-year-olds in England because it risks promoting a culture of “teaching to the test” at the expense of providing a broad curriculum.

Often I'm unable to understand the written word in various forums due to the lack of punctuation grammar and spelling. Of course this may be down to my age and the onset of senility.

I guess my real question is are the NUTs nuts?

Teachers call for boycott

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I work in a school, and there is a lot of resentment about politicians constantly meddling with the curriculum.

Every year the goal posts are moved on how the league tables are scored, and a number of current GCSE & BTEC subjects have been removed from the approved subjects list, so won't count towards scores on the league table and will be dropped from school curricula.

Ofsted inspections are a massive drain on resources and often don't concentrate on important areas such as teaching standards - our last inspection centred on our boarders (160 foreign students who live on site, we're an academy not a public school).

My full time job is gathering data for the ofsted, fisher family trust and DfE

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Of course it should be taught but too late the innits and aints are the new generation.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Of course when you have a politician in charge of any Government department ther must be intense pressure on him/her to 'do something' in order to aid their own prospects of getting up the greasy pole.

So, at the moment, education is in the firing line. But we've had similar events involving the NHS, the police, immigration etc etc. As I've heard some teachers say "Leave us alone for a wee while before changing everything again". Doubtless doctors and police officers felt the same.

Frustration builds.....

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spider9 - With members of the family either teaching or involved in education then what you have heard "Leaver us alone for a while" is quite correct. Goalposts, targets, etc are constantly changing and the result is that time is spent trying to keep records rather than teach.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

No. Things change, Daddy-o! Let anarchy rayne! u cnt go avin a go @ d kids for it if you've eva dfnded anyion e here whos been rowndid on for some trsgrssion or uvver!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

My point exactly Joe

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

hssutton

I find it mildly amusing that in the thread title, you forgot to put a space between spelling and punctuation!

I've never approved of the whole table of results for schools and tests for this, that and everything will just make this worse. When I did O Levels and A levels, grammar and spelling was always taken into account in the exams. In fact it was typographical errors that cost me a First Class Honours mark in my Philosophy thesis at University.

Much is said about lack of respect by the "Youth of Today", but morality doesn't come high on the agenda in schooling because that isn't a subject that is examined, so it doesn't appear on the local schools tables. Education is more than just examination results. And the tables are just a load of statistics that are often bandied about by politicians to back up their arguments. (Lies, damned lies and statistics, anyone?)

Preparing children for adulthood isn't just about pieces of paper and teaching to a goal. A goal has a finishing line - children have to live beyond that line, not just to it.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"you forgot to put a space between spelling and punctuation!" And, I regret spelled Curriculum wrong, but that is nit picking!!!

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Pavi I agree with john, that's nit picking Now if you had picked up on my spelling of curriculum :)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You should have claimed it was a spot the deliberate mistake example.

That's wot I'd 'av dun:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014