We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Leagel Car Protection.

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is it worth it for peace of mind. I am about to re-insure my car with the AA. An extra £25.99 will cover me for £50.000 for Legal Protection.

I have claimed on it before many years ago and to be honest they were not interested as the claim was to small around £400.00 car Damage.

I have been looking for an independent insurer for the same kind of cover to see if its cheaper or for £100.000 as many insures cover for this amount for similar money.

Whats your opinion. Do you think it should be part of of a Fully comprehensive cover or as an extra.

We have so many cars on the road that are uninsured, no MOT, untaxed, or we could be involved in a collision with a stolen car, people without a proper license underage drivers as well as police now suing victims from a previous thread.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Usually vehicle legal protection is just that, basically it is to cover you from other drivers and possible incidents, with the possibility of getting any excess payments back through the various ways, insurance companies work, including MIB.

For 'standard' legal motoring advice, then you household insurance cover, if you have any, might cover that, or alternatively your vehicle breakdown cover, if you have any, might offer advice.

When I insure our vehicles, its with a No Claims Protection added.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

To me its another way of ripping motorists off, as above Comprehensive insurance should cover it but it does not, fully. the above they will tell you is for such things as getting injured and recovery of excess fees that you agree to when you take out insurance

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The legal cover has always been separate, or at least it has been for me for the last 20 years.

If you don't have it and you have a no fault claim you will have to recover your excess yourself, and I'm pretty sure that won't be an easy task.

With regards to insurance, I'm amazed how much my renewal rose this year, from £275 to £490 with my current insurer, so I moved to Admiral Multi-car, and only paid £169, plus £20 for legal protection and £30 for guaranteed courtesy car if my car is written off...

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Woodchip sums it up, waste of money. Any decent household insurance will cover that anyway so you are just paying twice.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

If both your home insurance and you motor insurance cover this then you will have compounded the issue even though you have paid two premiums. They will both claim that it is the other insurers responsibility leaving you to deal with endless correspondence on their behalf and probably neither paying out.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Just be careful how you park at night. Facing the wrong way, partly on the pavement, etc. If a car collides with your car under these circumstances, your insurer will not pay out for damage to your car, leaving you liable to damage to the other vehicle.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I don't know whether this will yet cover Car Insurance. However it has affected the Travel Trade.

Travel Insurance Companies, who are handling Client's Loss Claims, have been themselves been Claiming on the Client's Household Insurance Policy to cover their own losses. Thereby increasing the Premium required by the Household Insurance Company.

So, if you Household Policy Covers your Legal Expenses and you subsequently Claim against you Motor Policy's Legal Risk Cover, they may counter claim against your Household Policy. Even if those Policies are held with the same Company.

a Lose/Lose situation for you

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Never thought of house policy covering Legal Expenses.

I suppose you have to take into consideration how much it will bump up your house policy for the following years if you make a claim.

This year I shopped around and saved £170 on the car and am now considering letting the same firm quote for my house insurance next year, and also ask about Legal Expenses.

Its the first time I printed off my policy and of course its saved on the PC as well.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Ex plorer

Most household insurance with legal added on, should make no difference with 'bumping' up your policy excess, because the legal side is usually run by a separate and independent company.

The only thing that you have to consider, is what the legal company provides in their own terms and conditions.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...