We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How viable is an edit option and is it a good or bad idea.

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,we all make mistakes occasionally when posting a question or reply, could be just a simple typing error or maybe something that could have been better phrased. I think a chance to edit ones postings would be useful with some limitations required of course. What do you think?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

This has been raised many times before, and always rejected.

If you don't want to use the preview box then prepare your post in Word and cut and paste it.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Editing a post could cause havoc to the rest of the thread I agree with morddwyd

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Sensibly has been rejected on many occasions.

Who really cares if a mistake has been made, it can be remedied if necessary with another post.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Another forum I use regularly allows posts to be edited for 48 hours, then they're locked, but if you need a change after so long you can contact a moderator who'll do the job.

Edit option is there as some posts are selling stuff and you can remove stuff from the original post as and when it's sold

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Good points. I was thinking of some kind of method of editing soon after posting not going back days, for example before the next post in the same thread. I can understand why it has not been adopted. Just wanted opinions or suggestions as to how it could be made to work to our advantage if possible.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Never has 'editing' been allowed here.

You post, you make a cockup, you post again to rectify your 'typo' or bad info.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Not a good idea then I take it. I shall crawl back under my stone(:-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes