We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Daily Telegraph paywall!

Flak999

Likes # 0

Just for the information of those who can't now read the Telegraph without subscribing to their free trial, there is a very easy way around this!

If you are using Chrome as a browser just open up the DT site in incognito mode and viola! totally unrestricted DT again! I haven't tried this in other browsers privacy modes but if it works in Chrome it will probably work in others.

Can't believe that they didn't think of this get round, it's so easy! If you don't have Chrome or don't want to use it you can use a proxy server like TOR to achieve the same end it is just slower.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

20 free items per month will, probably, do me. I never run out of free use for the FT.

With more newspapers opting for paywalls, though I don't think this one will trouble me, I expect more and more criticism of the BBC because I can't see how a pay model works if the biggest beast in the forest is free.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

That's true FM, however the times paywall seems to have been a success for them? The BBC being free does seem to throw a big spanner in the works, but for those who like differing takes on the news the paywall model does restrict access to those who can afford it.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I regularly access the D T site and haven't seen a paywall.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Al94

It's only just been introduced in the last couple of days,see here Daily Telegraph introduce paywall

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Ah so I need to add "yet" to my post!

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

oooohhh flack999 i do like when you talk french viola

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I can't see how a pay model works if the biggest beast in the forest is free.

The bbc is no more free than the nhs.

WTM

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'seems to have been a success'

'Seems' is the important word there. News International is, naturally, cagey about the results but you can grasp some straws.

In July 2011, the Guardian said there were 100,000 subs with growth down from 12,500 per month to 7,000.

In February 2012, this blogger says subs are 120,000.

By November 2012 you can see just enough of this expensive business research to see a figure of 133,000.

If those numbers are close then growth has almost stopped.

You could clutch at the fact that the Sun is going into hiding as a sign it must work but, of course, you have to allow for the ego of Rupert Murdoch. He'll never do anything that makes it clear it has failed (if it has).

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I just ran CCleaner and carried on reading The Telegraph. I suppose if I opted out of their cookie policy it might achieve the same result.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Still not seen it despite regular access!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'