We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you still hungry?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Unfortunately I can no longer eat solid food but bizarrely I enjoy watching cookery programs in particular the Great British Menue which is a odd title for a program given the plates of food served to the judges.

But what has always puzzled me, even when I could eat properly, is even though there are usually 4 courses in these menus', the potion sizes are so small. A dab of this, a smear or that, some sort of foam, a small tower of something with a small cube of fish or meat on the top sitting in a puddle of jus.

Call me an uneducated slob but if I went for a meal I was certainly looking for a plateful, especially the main course, but this seems non-existent in these Michelin starred restaurant's. The four courses do not add up to a plateful.

So after these 'meals' are you still hungry?

Oh and do not get me started on meat that is pink as that just turns my stomach.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

No. For me it's quality over quantity. Meat needs to be of excellent quality and still pink, even red in the middle to appreciate the full flavour. None of the overcooked or cremated rubbish for me!

It's a matter of personal taste.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm not hungry when I leave a restaurant, but then I don't frequent restaurants that do arty farty plate presentation over substance.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Do not like uncooked pink red meat, I am not a cannibal or wild animal

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

* I am not a cannibal*

I have yet to knowingly be served human flesh in a restaurant.

AL94 I am with you - red meat that is beyond pink is overcooked and all the flavour gone.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You don't leave hungry. The food can be savoured and enjoyed. The service and ambience can be just as important. I find that many of the pub large servings are too big.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Cordon Blue = Art Nouveau

looks very pretty on the plate

often tastes delicious (that depends on your particular tastes)

mai oui, not always that filling.

As I grow older I find I tend to eat less but appreciate my food more.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

No one should have to leave any restaurant still hungry no matter how arty farty the place is It should be quality as well as quantity

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Occasionally, when I'm really hungry [and 'eating out' inside a sit-down restaurant or pub diner], I order up a set meal for two [when it's 2 meals-for-the-price-of-one]. A 'brass-neck' is required but I have never been refused.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

I like my meat well cooked and cooked through, i never trust red meat or pinky flesh

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Before visiting a restaurant you should always try to ascertain if the head of the kitchen is a chef or an interior designer.

Far too many concentrate on what it looks like on the plate, rather than what it tastes like in the mouth.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data