We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New rules for younger drivers are being discussed

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

The rising number of accidents involving younger drivers is a matter of concern to all of us. Hardly a week passes by it seems without the media containing harrowing details of yet another young driver, or passenger, killed or severely injured in a smash. (For some reason today I am unable to include the link to the item as normal so here it is in full) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21937188

Authoritative discussions are now taking place that would place restrictions, yet to be finalised, on future young drivers. I hope the result of these discussions will help to ensure safer and better motorists in due course.

My suggestions are: After passing the test, perhaps a form of tamper-proof tachograph to be fitted for twelve months, or a speed restriction plate (50mph limit say) highly visible at the rear of the vehicle so other motorists would know it contained a younger driver. It would be very interesting to here your views on this serious matter. TC.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Quickbeam - A nice little link. Curiously enough, the first thing that went through my mind was how vulnerable those steps were, swinging in the wind!

I haven't delivered those, but in a previous life I used to drive stgo vehicles delivering plant an earthmoving vehicles to sites. Diggers in particular can be sneaky beggars. The hydraulics had a nasty habit of jacking themselves up with the bouncing of the vehicle, and if you werent carefull the first an unwary driver knew anout it was when the boom arm hit a bridge! There are still some bridges to this day that bear the scars, although their locations temporarily escape my memory. But if you go under a motorway bridge and notice that the main steel members have a pair of deep gouges in them you know why!

Bingalau - It still looks from your earlier posting, as if you reckon you personally are better than all other drivers. Have you ever driven a tank? If so was it on Salisbury plain or was it in Iraq or somewhere equally daunting?

No, of course not. But that isn't my point. Which is that the skills of a military driver (in or out of a combat role) are not readily transferable to a civilian application. Resettlement officers would have you believe that all that is needed is a quick week long course, with an lgv test at the end, and you're set up for a career in civvy street. All I'm saying is that theres a lot more to it than meets the eye.

And maybe I would win a competition, maybe I wouldn't. But I am confident that I wouldn't be an embarrassment. There's no way of saying it without it being miscronstrued by someone, but there it is. I've been a professional driver with an unblemished record for a long time. That tends to give one a certain perspective. I'm sorry if that comes across as arrogant because it isn't meant to be. If anything, I tend to lean towards the pragmatic, with a dose of world weary cynicism thrown in (the latter seems to be an occupational hazard).

WTM

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

False modesty is as bad as false boasting. If you're good at something, and you know what you're talking about, why not say so?

If you've got it, there's no need to flaunt it, but neither is there any need to hide it.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

morddwyd How many nitpickers do we need, your are looking for perfection, its as bad as being grammatical correct. you are dealing with Plebs! me being one of them. I do not mind being called common. The upper class would not survive without us

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

What makes a good driver, the ability to drive without an accident, not really, any idiot can do that.

Some one like WTM I would say is about 100% above a normal car driver, he's driving with nearly 40 tons behind him so if he appears to be more confident about his driving I don't blame him.

But it all boils down to one thing "experience" you do not get any until you have passed your test and you sit behind that wheel on your own, I suppose that as you get old and have no where to go in a hurry then you can just potter about well under the speed limit and admire the view.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It all boils down to remembering what you were taught and adapting to changing situations.

How many new drivers pass their test and immediately think 'I don't need to use the mirrors anymore and I don't need to use the indicators anymore'.

And as for the experienced oldies, I went out this morning to the shops, I came up to a bus at the stop, half a dozen people starting to board which said to me 'pass now or wait 5 minutes', I indicated, looked ahead of the bus, clear, moved out to pass, became blind to the front of it for 2/3 seconds, and had to break sharply to avoid an oncoming vehicle that must have been doing 40/50 plus to have got into that position during my blind 2/3 seconds.

Was this an adolescent alpha male in his first 3 weeks of driving? No, it was a decrepit old biddy on her way to have a rejuvenating blue rince whilst talking on a mobile.

The look I got from her for having the temerity to have been there was FILTHY, how dare I be there!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam please stop referring to gender or age when making comments about drivers, some one may say you are being sexist and ageist and he doesn't like that.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's an accurate description bearing in mind that this thread is very much old Vs young merit orientated.

If the cap fits, tha must wear it.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'I suppose that as you get old and have no where to go in a hurry then you can just potter about well under the speed limit and admire the view'

Or, given that we are talking about experience, it could be that people have realised that driving as fast as possible and being desperate to overtake any vehicle ahead makes a difference of only seconds to most short journeys.

Plus, of course, there's the matter of cost. Back in the '70s I did a long journey (200+ miles) under a 50mph limit. The improvement in mpg was staggering.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"became blind to the front of it for 2/3 seconds"

If you are on the road and become 'blind' to something for that length of time, you shouldn't have been doing it!!

Isn't it strange how, on every thread that ends up about driving, we get all sorts of rhetoric about incidents that were always the other person's fault??. Gets tiresome.

fourm member

I think you summed up the fact that experience should teach 'more haste less speed' very well.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"...for having the temerity to have been there was FILTHY, how dare I be there!"

I expect the 'old biddy' did give you a look - after all you were on her side of the road!! If you are passing a bus it is up to you to be sure the road is clear, and if there's any doubt don't do it.

All to save a couple of minutes whilst people got on a bus!!

Presumably you stopped and had a discussion with the lady, as you seem to know all about where she was going, and why (or was that purely literary licence to embellish your case?).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite