We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New rules for younger drivers are being discussed

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

The rising number of accidents involving younger drivers is a matter of concern to all of us. Hardly a week passes by it seems without the media containing harrowing details of yet another young driver, or passenger, killed or severely injured in a smash. (For some reason today I am unable to include the link to the item as normal so here it is in full) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21937188

Authoritative discussions are now taking place that would place restrictions, yet to be finalised, on future young drivers. I hope the result of these discussions will help to ensure safer and better motorists in due course.

My suggestions are: After passing the test, perhaps a form of tamper-proof tachograph to be fitted for twelve months, or a speed restriction plate (50mph limit say) highly visible at the rear of the vehicle so other motorists would know it contained a younger driver. It would be very interesting to here your views on this serious matter. TC.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I dont think young drivers are any worse than in my day but the environment is.

Yes and No

more cars on road less room to make mistakes and get away with them.

however today's cars are a lot safer than your old Standard 8 or Spitfire, this of course means drivers feel safer and therefore take increased risks.

How to make drivers safer in cars --- take their mobile phones off them. ;0)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Bet you wish you still had the Goldstar and Triton still:)

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

A probationary period of say six months after passing the driving test. During this time the young driver would have to display P for probationer plates. Not carry any young passengers. Not drive after darkness unless accompanied by a registered driving instructor. At the end of the probationary period another driving test would be necessary and that test would have to be a pass before the young driver is no longer considered a probationer.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You have to change a young persons thinking, you cannot legislate against accidents and young drivers,showing off in front of is mates or girlfriend when he as a skin full or on drugs.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Depends who teaches you, I was trained in the Polcie Force for my civvy licence then for a police one. No civvy trained driver would ever pass a police test.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Not many police drivers would pass a civvy test tomorrow.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Kevscar1, when I was in the police force, they began to introduce 'civvies' as instructor's, from 'basics' upwards. Regarding the test, then this would depend on the 'approved' examiner.

I don't know how it applies nowadays, but with an 'old type' basic police licence, a police officer was 'in official' terms restricted on the use of "blues and two's". This caused quite a bit of concern at the time in my area, not sure about other areas.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What concerns me the most with young driver's, is how some seem to modify their car's beyond the original manufacturer's specifications, to perhaps a more souped-up version. I often wonder if their insurance companies are ever informed, before any eventful day?.

One thing that I have always stated from the days of my first licence, that any new driver should have 'restricted' driver plates displayed for a period of time. This can apply to say the older driver, who as held a motorbike licence years ago, and then ventures out on the open road with their new dream machine. Quite a number of these drivers have near mishaps or met with a very serious accident or fatality. And sometimes, not just involving themselves, but perhaps other innocent parties!.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I gave an even better idea, get any body who has pasted their test more than 10 years ago to retake it, and if you are not up to standard then you lose your license.

That will get shut of a lot of people and make more room on the roads, because some of the older people could do with learning how to drive first.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I remember reading an article about 'brain activity' and it's changes during the period from age about 12 to 25 years. It seems that 'youth' are programmed differently to more mature people, so they will take more risks - it was something to do with survival of the species.

Wish I could locate the article again - but what difference would it make anyway??

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite