We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are there any trades-persons about?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

There as been a lot said over the years about unemployment, getting and training trades-persons, getting three quotes and having a good job done. There seems to be an increase about obtaining the services of trades-persons, since the employment gates to the UK from the EU, which was suppose to have filled some gaps. Which as possibly led to further questions about the 'black economy' and unemployment for those perhaps 'wanting' or seeking work in a trade.

So perhaps a discussion for consideration. Have you tried to get work done, but found it was nearly impossible to get someone interested, or read about some government scheme to get people back into work, yet these schemes are not producing or have failed. What do you think is a solution to this ever increasing problem or concern?.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I would think the best way is word of mouth, Ask local residents or in your local pub etc. who they get for qualified trades men.

The same applies for DIY enthusiast.

The DIY people for small jobs locally wont charge much and are generally very good at what they do.

If you find a good DIY and he or they do a good job pay a little over there charge if the charges are reasonable and he/they will look after you.

If its for Gas, Electricity, or plumbing be aware if they are DIYs. as they may not be qualified or have public liability insurance etc. having said that they may be qualified as it may be there week job and making extra on a weekend, but wont be covered by insurance.

Be Safe.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Ex plorer

Its seems as this is the general feeling about 'asking around', but from my own personal experiences, this sometimes doesn't pay, and I think some of the responses to this thread might show that.

People promise to visit and quote, then they do not turn up. And when you try to re-offer them the job, its usually another promise that fails.

Perhaps we have ourselves to blame, I wouldn't know. But in the case of the Polish people I mentioned. They have returned home, and I think this was for various reasons. Maybe some people wanted a 'cash in hand' job, and then complained afterwards. What I found with these Polish people, was that they turned up on time, did the job I wanted doing, and for the price we agreed on. When I have tried with other avenues, then problems seem to get very concerning. Even asking a person who is supposedly desperate for extra work, 'on top of their day job' so as to pay their daily bills, seem to have different ideas, as to the job or going rate, and then they continue to suggest that they are still 'trying very hard' to find work.

Last year I wanted to remove and re-install some mains power switchboxes, looked in the Yellow pages but was met with the "to busy" response, so I asked around. Neighbour said his daughter's partner was a qualified electrician who had been made redundant 7 months earlier, and he was seeking any type of work. Golden opportunity, so I thought. I estimated a full 8/9 hours work, he said "about 4 hours". The job took 8 hours. He was due to return to do further electrical work at another time, but apparently, the daughter and her partner have now split up. Job still there for the taking?.

A couple of years ago, some of the local resident's were considering starting up a community voluntary group, on the idea that they had just been reading about. Anyone with trade skills, and that included retired people or good diyer's,would volunteer their services, in return for services being offered and given to them, based on a points system. Materials would be provided by those requiring the services, labour was part of the voluntary deal. It never got off the ground?.

I suppose its all a bit like trying to chase your own tail, with never ending circles, no matter which way you try?.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

spuds, there must be a shortage of trades men these days maybe its just that tradesmen wont take on apprentices today with all the red tape involved etc all they want is qualified people today.

My brother self employed after 40 odd years in plumbing and as a oil-fired heating Engineer in his last two years of work had to sit exams and the cost was a hell of a lot of money for him to get his certificates to continue his work and also up grade his tools.

I know electricians that are nearing retirement that did not sit them and do only repair work that is permitted rather than shell out for certificates etc and they have been electricians most of there lives.

It cant be easy today to get on the ladder and start to learn a trade today.

I do realize its step in the right direction to have proof and certificates that qualify you to do a certain job and give customers piece of mind unfortunately that doesn't mean they will complete the work.

But what ever happened to the handy man, No Job to Small.

Where I live we have one, He is a builder by trade.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014