We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are there any trades-persons about?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

There as been a lot said over the years about unemployment, getting and training trades-persons, getting three quotes and having a good job done. There seems to be an increase about obtaining the services of trades-persons, since the employment gates to the UK from the EU, which was suppose to have filled some gaps. Which as possibly led to further questions about the 'black economy' and unemployment for those perhaps 'wanting' or seeking work in a trade.

So perhaps a discussion for consideration. Have you tried to get work done, but found it was nearly impossible to get someone interested, or read about some government scheme to get people back into work, yet these schemes are not producing or have failed. What do you think is a solution to this ever increasing problem or concern?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Good odd job men are difficult to find. I suspect that it is because that there isn't much money to be made in it as people don't want to pay the amount to make it worthwhile taking into account expenses eg transport.

caccy's tip is good. Look for property maintenance companies rather than odd job too.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I spent many years manufacturing and supplying conservatories and where my customer was doing their own installation I was always asked to recommend a good bricky, sparks, plasterer etc. I never could. The main reason was that the good guys mostly got work through recommendation and word of mouth; therefore they had no need to advertise and could not be found easily. Secondly, most of the good guys had such a backlog of work that they would not advertise as they did not need any extra jobs.

I think a lot of trade’s people who need to advertise constantly are not getting recommendation work; best approach would be to talk to as many people as you can to find a contact.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps coming back to the theme of unemployment. I know a young person who spent time, getting his qualifications in the building trade. He as never really worked since getting those qualifications, similar to some of his mates, who also followed a similar trade training.

He does quite a bit of moaning about wanting more money, yet when I suggested that he and his mates could probably start off, by building brick walls, slabbing etc as perhaps labour only to start with. He thought it was a great idea, yet nothing as ever come of it, and to me, that's a total waste!,

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

My wife sleeps in an orthopaedic bed, and in November one of the legs collapsed, not the leg itself, just the 4" x 1" 2 ft diagonal cross brace it was screwed to. Ten years ago I could have done it myself in half a day.

It took four months to get a joiner to come and fix it, and in the end I had to get on to Social Services and explain that her bed had been propped up on books for four months.

Took seven minutes and cost £15 including a 22 mile call out charge.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Part of the problem that morddwyd's example shows is that an independent tradesman will have a daily rate in mind for his work.

A job that will take half a day with another to fill the day out is OK. A one hour job that takes up half the day because of travel and being left too far away to fill the rest out would require a costing that he knows you wouldn't want to pay.

I had a similar situation this year. I had the house rewired last year by an electrician that was with me for 4 days, which was efficient working for him. When I rang last month to ask if he's put a fused spur in upstairs I got the same problem. So I did it myself which I didn't want to do as it's not part of the tested fitting that was certificated, but I've got my spur!

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I don't think they are short of work! My front partitioning wall needed repairing.The rendering had cracked beause of the recent freeze and it needed to be taken out, dried and re-rendered. No one wants the work because it's only a days work?? Go figure. This makes the charge that foreign workers are their jobs a nonsense. I'll bet in time some foreign worker will be willing to do it.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

should read "are takin"

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

oops, "taking"

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Good, Cheap and Available, pick two of the three options that best suit your requirements.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Whatever the answer, unemployment will not go down, if people with skills, decide its not in their interest to 'fill the gaps'.

The same might be stated about the so called Watchdogs or Trade Associations that are in existence. If things go wrong, then it can usually result in an uphill struggle to get things put right?.

Will tick as resolved, the thread seems to have run its course.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert