We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why Does Ice Float

woodchip

Likes # 0

Water reaches its maximum density at 4°C (40°F). As it cools further and freezes into ice, it actually becomes less dense. On the other hand, most substances are most dense in their solid (frozen) state than in their liquid state. Water is different because of hydrogen bonding. So how did that come about. as it lets fish and other living thing survive under it

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

WTM melted sea ice can be drunk as over time the brine is almost gone, as sea ice freezes it start to lose the salt content and as it ages more is lost.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Sorry should have posted a link enter link description here to a very good short bit of video showing how it happens.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's interesting carver, I remember doing the freezing water and boiling water temperature differences with varying salt levels at school, but we still ended up with salt water when it returned to room temperature!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam I can remember doing a host of experiments at school and I would hazard a guess that nearly 30% are so out dated now that nearly every thing I learned about them is wrong.

But you can only be taught what present day knowledge can tell you.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

carver In fairness the same school experiment, done with the time limit of one lesson period will bring in the same result now, and I think a lump of frozen North Sea ice from the beach in Northumbria will make for a very salty cocktail indeed.

The link video is a fascinating example of what nature, which has no time limit and unlimited extreme conditions, can do beyond a comprehensive school lab's apparatus!

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

" always thought that on a pond when the water froze in to ice, that there would be a slight space between the surface of the water and the ice"

That's how Harry Houdini managed his jumping into a frozen river trick. He survived for a long duration beneath the ice by breathing the air trapped between the ice and water (about 1 inch I think).

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

michaelw. Thanks for confirming what I remembered from somewhere in the dim and distant past. I suppose it also provides oxygen for the life in the water.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

A link for pond owners (no need to leave a hole in the ice) Pond research

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Good job ice floats - just think of how many ship would have been Titaniced if icebergs sank and you could not see them.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Seven eighths of icebergs are unseen 'n' underwater - and therefore not floating in the normal sense of floating.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...