We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Todays question: How or Why.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Is it that uncountable amounts of snowflakes fall from the sky and yet each one is different? Or so the scientists would have us believe.

I would imagine it more than possible that there have been two, or more, snowflakes exactly the same. I think the chances of seeing this is pretty slim but that does not make it impossible.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

"We’ve all heard that no two snowflakes are alike, and that’s true of the star-shaped ones.

On the other hand, column-type snowflakes have simple, solid prism shapes – much as if you cut a section out of a lead pencil. While the ratio of their length to thickness can vary, column-type snowflakes don’t have a complicated structure. Many are very much alike."

My thanks to:

Dr. Charles Knight

National Centre for Atmospheric Research

Boulder, CO

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"Many are very much alike" but that does not mean identical

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

This article sets out the answer pretty well.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Do the railways ever use nano-snowflakes as an excuse for very minor delays?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam yes they do not conform to railway standards

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...