We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Uk running out of gas

bumpkin

Likes # 0

According to the media we are running out of gas so it may have to be rationed. Can anyone explain how this would be done.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Most likely sold but not mentioned of course.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Whatever happened to the hundred's of years worth of gas we were supposed to be able to extract from the North Sea?

Presumably it went the same way as nuclear generated electricity that would be 'too cheap to meter'.

WTM

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

WTM

Just beat me to it!

I remember those claims too.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Bing.alau Gas used to be Hydrogen produced in "Gasworks"by cooking coal as a first stage then injecting steam as a second stage. The Oxygen was stripped from the steam and bonded to the carbon from the burnt coal to form CO, this was later stripped out,this left the Hydrogen.I used to go to Wandsworth Gasworks as a kid with my Dad to collect the Coke in his truck. It was a vision of hell as the white hot coke emerged from the furnaces. Natural gas is Methane so your appliances had to be rejetted. Most of North Sea Gas is consumed by gas fired power stations I believe so we have to import half of our gas from other exporters.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Grey Goo

I think you are confusing coal gas and coke oven gas.

Coal gas was less than 20% hydrogen. Its main flammable component was carbon monoxide and that was what made it a killer.

Coke oven gas was a by product of coke production and contained about one third methane and half hydrogen.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

It was the "Lowes Water Gas" I got confused with.Scrubbed out CO2 not CO. Suppose I should have looked it all up first but there's no fun in that.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If natural gas is methane, can't we just collect it from cows and help stop the ozone layer problem at the same time?

Can someone come up with a gas collecting suit for a cow ;0)

1 cow = 400 litre of methane per day

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I note in today's media reports, that British Gas is very jubilant because it as just clinched a £10billion U.S. import deal

Apparently this contract will see 89 billion cubic feet of 'cheap' gas shipped from Louisiana-USA to these shores, annually for the next 30 years. But the importation will not start till 2018, possibly because the supplies are expected via 'freaking' (shale blasting with water to release large pockets of underground gas).

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat- that idea is already being tried and tested, both here in the UK and other countries ;o)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......