We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Uk running out of gas

bumpkin

Likes # 0

According to the media we are running out of gas so it may have to be rationed. Can anyone explain how this would be done.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I understood from other reports, quoting industry people, that this is another press mare's nest trying to whip up yet more "winter weather" column inches.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

What a pity you cannot post a link to the reports. I do not think it is in dispute that the UK's gas reserves are at dangerous levels.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I could be very wrong, but methinks if this is an industry media leak, then further price rises and profit forecasts are on the horizon?.

I was reading the other day about the building of future electric generating stations, and how one main (French?) interested party as now pulled out of the negotiations.

All Doom and Gloom!.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

"if this is an industry media leak, then further price rises and profit forecasts are on the horizon?." I think you have it in a nutshell spuds.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

36hrs has expired now "source Daily mail" I must be one of the lucky ones, still got heating and dinner cooking. Any other members still got gas?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

As morddwyd says, this looks like another media scare story. I think they've taken last year's stories at this time and done a find and replace putting 'gas' wherever to said 'water'.

But, if a shortage occurred, the large industries whose pricing is based on the possibility of their supply being restricted would cut down on production.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Another 2 or 3 day week, or part month on, part month off then?.

What was it last time - fuel?.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

No Miners on strike. that's why Maggy got ride of mines as it put conservatives out of power.

PS the Country then became a Nation of Shopkeepers

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"What a pity you cannot post a link to the reports."

BBC Television news reports.

You could always try iPlayer if you think I'm lying.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Whatever happened to the hundred's of years worth of gas we were supposed to be able to extract from the North Sea? We were not going to have to rely on digging coal from the ground anymore. That was the story back in the early 1970's. North Sea gas was the answer to all our energy prayers. We even changed our type of gas fires if I remember correctly. What a swizz!! Did we have mathematicians in those days who worked it out wrongly, or have we sold it all to someone else who is now selling it back to us at a very high price?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...