We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

To Who it may Concern

fourm member

Likes # 0

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I disagree, the Telegraph is wrong.

Whom refers to a number of individuals, although it is not a plural.

Who is marking who - e.g. which individual is marking which individual and it is up to each individual to respond with the name or number of the person that they are marking.

Whereas 'Whom is marking whom' is 'which of those individuals is marking which of another group of individuals' and anyone can point out the answer.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

rdave13

Lol has become pretty much mainstream and I am sure it will not be the last textspeak word to be so.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Language evolves, words/phrases come into being others vanish. No big deal. I believe it is quite pompous to expect us to abide by some archaic rules decided by god knows who/whom.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Whom cares?

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I just wish everybody learned to talk proper like as how what I do.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You mean I have to replace 'whom' with the much longer 'who ever'?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You mean I have to replace 'whom' with the much longer 'who ever'?

Whatever.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

It would not be allowed here but I remember a poem that rhymed Khartoum, Room and "to whom". It would not work without "whom"

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Yet another nail in the coffin of good grammar.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'German, for example, also has a fairly rigid grammatical construction'

German is an interesting example of what happens to languages. There have been official changes, mostly to do with spelling, that have been negotiated and challenged in court and colloquial changes to make the language easier to use.

I believe the verb is moving from the end of the sentence in a lot of German speech, if not writing.

Though 'To who it may concern' sounds ugly that shouldn't stop easier use in speech or everyday writing.

No-one is suggesting that John Donne should be rewritten but I don't think anyone gets home from work and says 'Ask not what sort of day I've had'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone