We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

To Who it may Concern

fourm member

Likes # 0

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

In Peru, whomever wants it can have drinking water from fresh air... Or so it seems from another thread not far from here.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

The April the first thread to whomsoever is interested.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

The internet may have hastened the demise of "whom", he suggests. The internet has nothing to do with it. It is the fact that grammar is no longer taught. Even at grammar school in the forties there was inadequate teaching of grammar, a view to which I came on experiencing the rigidity of the structure of latin grammar. German, for example, also has a fairly rigid grammatical construction and I suspect that it poses great problems in teaching it if pupils have no concept of cases and how they are used. "Whom" is the correct form for accusative (object), dative and ablative. No-one has the right to retire it. "Who is on who" may be acceptable for colloquial use but should not be used by an educated person in formal company. It is not a question of being understood but being correct. And don't get me started on personal pronouns.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Still 'sounds' bad rather than 'to whom'.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've noticed over the last month or so that the word ' absolutely ' has been replaced by the more down-to-earth ' that's right ' when someone is agreeing with another person's viewpoint.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The English language has and always will develop. The loss of whom will only worry lexicograpers, wordsmiths and Stephen Fry the rest of us will carry on.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

bremner , then the same goes for 'text' speech. Que Sera, Sera.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

So the changing of the English language is OK innit.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yup.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes