We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Who panic buys all the bread and milk...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

when it snows? I don't eat any more nor less if it snows.

Luckily my trade is a baker, so I've bought a bag of flour instead and will while away the snowy day with hot fresh bread as a reward:)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I suppose if you have a big family to feed and don't own a car [to tranport the bread and milk easily], then I can see the reason why many people [who fit that bill] will carry as much is possible when they visit their local bigname store ... in very bad weather.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It just goes to show the greed or perhaps stupidity of some 'must have' people. I wonder how many of the people involved actually needed the items, and how much will be wasted. But I suppose it keeps the production lines busy, unless the basis raw materials get difficult to source.

One thing I can say, is that we have sufficient food in our household that as been accumulated over time, so as to keep the hunger pains at bay. The elderly neighbours will not go hungry, if the case be. Let the greed merchants fend for themselves, and no doubt, they most probably will or attempt?.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"It just goes to show the greed or perhaps stupidity of some 'must have' people"

Too right!

It brings to mind an incident when I lived in London in a largish block of (60) private flats. The mains water went off and Thames Water delivered a pallet load of bottled water in packs of 4x2ltr bottles. There was probably enough for each flat to have 2 packs but there were people taking 4 or 5 packs so leaving some flats without any. A couple of weeks later I saw someone's garage door open and inside were about 4 packs unopened!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I buy two loaves of bread when it is on offer and freeze it except for enough slices to last me the day. The two loaves usually last me well over a week maybe a fortnight. It defrosts quite quickly on its own and you can even chuck it straight in the toaster either to just defrost it or to toast it.

I also freeze those lovely Tiger Rolls and they always come out just as good as when they went in the freezer.

But I buy milk in the two pint size and that lasts me a week just kept in the fridge. So I can't understand people who panic buy.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Quickbeam I had forgotten that you are a baker. I've been having problems with the flour for my bread-making machine. It seems that British wheat is poor this year as a result of all of the rain and the loaf doesn't rise as it should. I have found that by adding 2 teaspoons of lemon juice that this aids the gluten and the loaf rises as it should and doesn't taste of lemon. Grateful for your comment. Sorry about it being off thread.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Your description of what an elderly man, with a reduced 'intake' ability, needs to eat would hardly fit the bill for a wife shopping for a husband and four growing sprogs.

Knowing kids are often the nearest thing to a plague of locust, when anywhere near a food cupboard, I cannot see your argument holding much validity!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Who panic buys all the bread and milk...

The same people who panic buy everything else when there is the slightest rumour of a shortage. Petrol not so long ago is a great example made worse by a statement on storage by one of our idiot leaders.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... and Quickbeam, after you've sorted out Woolwell's query .. can you let us all into the secret of how to bake those slightly 'well-fired' rolls like wot I gets down at my local newsagents, please.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Woolwell The lemon juice does the same as ascorbic acid which is used in commercial bread to shorten the mix to oven time using low protein European flours. It's probably been added to your flour which suits breadmakers and commercial high speed all in one mixing methods.

I can't bring myself to modernise, the effort involved in making bread is wasted if you don't get an old fashioned flavour out of it. But it also means that it's not very often that I bother!

I've currently got a 5/6 hour sponge & dough ferment under way that should have a tasty loaf ready by 6ish to eat with my Loch Fyne kippers.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"those slightly 'well-fired' rolls like wot I gets down at my local newsagents"

That'll be the traditional Scotch morning rolls made by the flying sponge method. They contain very little fat which means by midday they're getting stale, but when fresh from the oven they have a light fluffy open texture, a crisp eggshell crust with gritty semolina on them that was originally used because they were baked straight on the stone oven sole. They make for fantastic bacon butties.

Traditionally small rolls (morning goods) are baked first in an oven to take the heat out of a solid fueled oven that's been on overnight with no control over the temperature. That can be anything between 800/1000 degs F which gives the well fired crust that you mention. Once that's done and the temperature has been pulled down to 500/600ish degs F the Scotch batch bread goes in. Because that so closely packed, you get the thick top and bottom crusts associated with a scotch loaf.

When the breads finished you bake your lower temperature cakes and pastries before banking the oven fire up again on your way out ready for the morning again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote