We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Phone that saves itself from a fall.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Apple filed a patent in the US called the "Protective Mechanism for an Electronic Device.

A number of solutions are proposed to position the phone on landing: the movement of a weighted mass within the device: aeroplane foils that extend out from the surface of the device: and a thrust mechanism such as a small gas-propulsion device. The system would need a sensor to detect when the device was falling and how it is positioned relative to the ground according to the website Appleinsider.com.

Or you could just tie your phone to a cat.lol.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Ah, now this is much easier to understand. It can be proven that if you drop a phone from a great height onto a concrete base, there will be a big bang as it makes contact!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Will there be a 'crash test dummy' small enough to fit inside the phone, I wonder.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This technology wouldn't apply to me or my family and friends. We buy cheap payg phones for less than £20 ;o)

But I did notice a new advert on television the other evening, when someone had 'casually' dropped their mobile in a pile of mud or something, and then commenced to wash the mobile with an hosepipe. I do believe they also 'casually' dropped the same mobile under the wheels of an HGV, with no ill effect?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Good grief, they'll be playing basketball with one next - to test the bounce factor.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Just strap it to a parachute with a ripcord around your neck

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Or you could just not design the phone such that the rigid aluminium construction transfers most of the energy on impact directly to the large brittle glass front panel.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Or you could combine several natural and human technologies and have an egg shaped phone that transfers the energy of an impact safely to the other side without creating a damaging big bang of any sort.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Don't eggs break when dropped?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd, boiled ones don't ;o}

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I suppose in these hi-tech days, one of these is too simple WristStrap I have a few that I've saved from way back that came with cameras and other items. I think I even had one with my 'Brownie' in the '60s or '70s (they came with the camera foc) can easily be clipped to belt loop if phone/camera is in pocket.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers