We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone got the answer?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Last night whilst unable to sleep my mind, as it does, wandered to the origin of the universe and related questions.

I have never fully accepted the Big Bang theory as no one has really explained what caused the largest explosion ever to have happen in the universe to occur.

And if, as it is, generally accepted, the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate and if there was nothing before the Big Bang then what is the universe expanding into?

I am off to lie down now as my brain hurts.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

"... no one has really explained what caused the largest explosion ever to have happen in the universe to occur."

But there was no universe before the 'big bang'. (:-}}

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's usually whilst lying on my back on a warm summers night, gazing up into a clear moonless night, in the middle of nowhere, when the milky way can be seen clearly that I get around to worrying about all that sort of stuff...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I still can't get my head around how a tiny plant seed [let's keep it simple] can grow [if allowed to do so] into a beautiful object like a flower?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

At the monment the only two feasible options are God or Big Bang Theory

Take your pick!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry Quickbeam not enough evidence for either. if everything began with the Big Bang there can be nothing before so the Big Bang cannot have happened and nothing exists. But of course it does as I have just typed this post,or have I?

If God exists and created everything, what was he doing with himself before hand?

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I'm no expert but I believe the theory is that all the matter which existed came together with such force that it created the big bang and the universe has been expanding ever since. When this expansion finally rune out of steam and stops the whole thing will go into reverse and repeat itself.

Not a very scientific explanation (from me) but I think that's the basis of the theory. I don't think I'll be around to see it anyway.

If nothing could have been created without God - who/what created God?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm not arguing the case for either of them Chronos!

But they're the only two theories that have powerful bodies (Church or Science) spending vast amounts of money to prove their case.

In Ridley Scott's Prometheus, the line 'because that's what I choose to believe', is the nearest answer I have.

Meanwhile, I just go out to work as usual and am just grist to the greater mill...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are some things that we will never know.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's not an acceptable answer to either the God or science camp.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks