We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone got the answer?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Last night whilst unable to sleep my mind, as it does, wandered to the origin of the universe and related questions.

I have never fully accepted the Big Bang theory as no one has really explained what caused the largest explosion ever to have happen in the universe to occur.

And if, as it is, generally accepted, the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate and if there was nothing before the Big Bang then what is the universe expanding into?

I am off to lie down now as my brain hurts.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

and they just like the 2 jehovahs witness who came round a couple of months ago will say "You can't prove there is no god." The look on their faces when I replied "and you can't prove there are no aliens" was priceless, first time I've seen one speechless

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Kevscar1 just tell them you are a practising Quaker and they will just look at you and say that you are nearly one of them and walk away.

We have a number of Quakers on my Wife's side and it's one of the nicest religions I know.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

But getting back to the Gig bang Theory, how can you have the explanation that matter expanded several times faster than the speed of light after the big bang but it's not allowed to go that fast now.

Has some one fitted universal speed cameras.

Also the universe should be slowing not speeding up.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

religion = nice? oxymoron!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

carver

Calling 1.6 billion 'nearly 2 billion' is a rather rough rounding.

The increase in the total number of Muslims is a function of the increase in the population of Muslim countries.

And there is a difference between the population of Muslim countries and the number of adherents. It is hard to get a clear view on non-adherents because the law and religion are so closely intertwined but there are ways to look into the crude numbers.

Figures suggest that alcohol consumption in Muslim countries increased 25% from 2005 to 2010. A different study found the increase to be 72% from 2001 to 2011. Details here.

A lot is made of conversions to Islam but, as far as can be determined, it seems that around the same number of people convert away from Islam as to it according to this article.

Look into attendance at Friday prayers and you find that the rate of attendance falls off the longer an immigrant has been in a non-Muslim country. Even in some Muslim countries attendance is low, especially in the younger generation.

I was wrong to say diminishing 'number' because that ignores population growth but I'm comfortable saying diminishing proportion.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

What amazes me is how Earth started and the moon that plays a big part on our planet that is so-posed to be part of Earth.

Its said a large asteroid hit the then smoldering planet we call Earth and tilted it and asteroid and chunks of the Earth made the Moon.

Earth has its own magnetic field that protects us from the suns rays etc.

Then we have the sun and nothing would survive without it on Earth.

Can it be reborn again in the same manner if it collapses and sets of again.

We will survive some how maybe in another universe with what mother Earth can provide.

If its believed that we will shrink back to an atom or what ever why are we exploring space and spending billions of trillions of £$etc.?.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

If its believed that we will shrink back to an atom or what ever why are we exploring space and spending billions of trillions of £$etc.?.

you provided your own answer in the line above

We will survive some how maybe in another universe with what mother Earth can provide.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

We will survive some how maybe in another universe with what mother earth can provide

Where is that other universe going to come from then?

I imagine you mean another galaxy, But the nearest galaxy to us is Canis major dwarf, which is around 25000 light years away, and is for all practical purposes therefore unreachable, quite apart from the problem of transporting What mother earth can provide.

Forget other galaxies - when earth becomes inhabitablev the human race is over.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Unless we perfect teleportation by that time.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

And I know it's from the Mail online enter link description here and another article here enter link description here about other universes, you never know some times fact can be stranger than fiction.

So before long we could be travelling between the stars and it's not long ago that space travel was quote "Space travel is bunk." -- Sir Harold Spencer Jones, Astronomer Royal of Britain, 1957, two weeks before the launch of Sputnik"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia