We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone got the answer?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Last night whilst unable to sleep my mind, as it does, wandered to the origin of the universe and related questions.

I have never fully accepted the Big Bang theory as no one has really explained what caused the largest explosion ever to have happen in the universe to occur.

And if, as it is, generally accepted, the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate and if there was nothing before the Big Bang then what is the universe expanding into?

I am off to lie down now as my brain hurts.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

You're tangling yourself in your own thoughts. I didn't say that God didn't exist, I said there is no evidence for the existence of a god. If I'm presented with some I'm prepared to examine it with an open mind, but so far I've seen nothing except belief, which is an entirely different thing.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

So when the big Flash / Bang came along its the pressure of the force of the explosion created that's still expanding, until it cant push any further and the outer forces will start to push back until it collapse back into one big smoldering planet or atom and it starts again, or will it stay as it is after all its expanding as there is no external force.

It had to start some how.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Deep beneath a mountain near Geneva scientists from around the world are working in conjunction with CERN to develop a giant cyclone powered by cold fusion. Russia is currently training its astronauts to transport the huge device. Head of the team James Dyson said the project should be completed by 5017 the main problem will be securing it in place in the nearest black hole. Once this universe ceases to expand a sensor will trigger the device and everything will be sucked back to its origin. Please do not leak this classified information to the media.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

bumpkin, I've heard that before somewhere.... Oh yes late one night after hours it was proposed that if one could expand ones' mouth wide enough and keep on going then it was theoretically possible to disappear up ones' .....

I think I might be in trouble now, and this post will also disappear.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Ok Lotvic, point taken:-)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

ok bumpkin, I thought you would argue that one could re-emerge and start all over again (as per Ex plorer's post). I better stop now (hides head in shame)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"So when the big Flash / Bang came along its the pressure of the force of the explosion created that's still expanding, until it cant push any further and the outer forces will start to push back until it collapse back into one big smouldering planet or atom and it starts again,"

There are religions that embrace the notion of a perpetually recurring life cycle, maybe God and the Big Bang creations are one and the same.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'maybe God and the Big Bang creations are one and the same'

No. Though there are gaps still to be filled in there is clear evidence for the Big Bang.

There is no evidence for the existence of god. The notion of god was the Big Bang theory of its time. Humans wanted to understand the world around them and the best theory they could come up with was that it must have been a god or gods.

Just as some people still believe the earth is flat and various other contradicted theories a diminishing number of people still cling to the notion of a supernatural being.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The earth isn't flat...?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Sorry *fourm member * but you may be wrong in your statement "Just as some people still believe the earth is flat and various other contradicted theories a diminishing number of people still cling to the notion of a supernatural being."

Ask any Muslim who the creator is and they will tell you it's Allah and at last count there were nearly 2 billion of them and more every year.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...