We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone got the answer?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Last night whilst unable to sleep my mind, as it does, wandered to the origin of the universe and related questions.

I have never fully accepted the Big Bang theory as no one has really explained what caused the largest explosion ever to have happen in the universe to occur.

And if, as it is, generally accepted, the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate and if there was nothing before the Big Bang then what is the universe expanding into?

I am off to lie down now as my brain hurts.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I am stickin' to my digestive/tea-biscuit theory of the universe ... the holes in the biscuits being the stars.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think that far galaxies are moving away at about 6000 km / sec. The speed of light is about 300,000 km /sec so light still gets here --- I think! The scientists measure the speed by the Doppler (red shift in the spectrum)) effect.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

"If everything is moving away from us at alarming speeds, why is it we can still see them?"

We are not seeing them as they are today what we are seeing is the light that has taken millions/billions of years to reach our telescopes. There is a theory that at some point in time man will look skyward and see nothing but the blackness of space.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I remember from somewhere (maybe a Horizon programme) that the named constellations as set out by the Greeks looked far more like what they were named after than they do today when they used a graphics demo to move the expanding universe back to that time.

But it's still all Greek to me...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The only reference I can find to that movement is here.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...scroll down to "Are the constellations permanent?".

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

More than one Universe

I have just found the above link and read a small part after the FE corrected my Universe to Galaxies in a earlier posting.

It gave me the idea to Google the possibility of more than one universe.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You can explore them all in Google Universe.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"There is a theory that at some point in time man will look skyward and see nothing but the blackness of space."

I've never heard of that theory, but it is seriously flawed, and will never come to pass. It would mean that our nearest star - the sun- had ceased to exist, and many millions of years before that happens all life on earth will be obliterated.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I have never fully accepted the Big Bang theory as no one has really explained what caused the largest explosion ever to have happen in the universe to occur.

Answer, GAS

And if, as it is, generally accepted, the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate and if there was nothing before the Big Bang then what is the universe expanding into?

Answer, SPACE

Hope that clarifies things for all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...