We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Spare a thought for the frogs

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Just when I thought we would escape the snow that everywhere else has had, I wake up to 4 inches of it, but what effect will this have on the frogspawn that's already been laid?

I've got 2 big clumps in the garden pond and the local park has loads of it. Does this unseasonal weather have a detrimental effect on it, or can the jelly protect against it until the tadpoles develop further?

I've not had any toadspawn yet.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

No frog spawn yet but we have had a fair few squashed frogs on the road near the big pond in the school down the road.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They may be beyond recovery...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Like Alpine strawberry seeds and in a similar vein 'The Cooler King' in 'The Great Escape' ... played by Steve McQueen, I'm sure that those little embrionic tadpoles will be laughing all the way to the river bank at what nature dishes out... when the sun comes out to melt the snow and ice away for good.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

For a moment I thought you were being a Francophile.

Our pond produces 100's of froglets every year whatever the weather. I think they'll be ok this year too.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm thinking that, it's just that I can't remember such a spectacular return to winter this far into spring.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

'Survival of the fittest' kicks/croaks in ... frogs 'n' toads that have passed on their 'cold weather' inheritance traits will successfully spawn ... blue gene baby froglets 'n' toadlets.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Off subject, but I am more concerned about some regular visitor blue tits, who seem to be nesting in our nest boxes.

Back to frog spawn, we have lost one pond a few doors away, and that use to be a very good breeding ground and indicator. Not any longer though!.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm worried about the hedgehog I found at bottom of garden under a 'nest' of dried grass and leaves. I took a tiny peek and can't decide if it's gone to sleep forever or not. Will just have to wait and see (or smell) when and if the weather gets warmer.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'I can't remember such a spectacular return to winter this far into spring'

I can. About 20 years ago, a group of us went to walk the Yorkshire Three Peaks the weekend after the end of the school Easter holidays. We planned an early start but the layer of snow on the roof of the tent meant we didn't wake up at dawn.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think it depends on the severity of the freeze. A little ice on the surface and they will probably survive but I don't think they will survive if it gets to a half inch to an inch thick.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK