We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I take it that nobody was overawed with the budget...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Well I for one will be at least £2 a year better off with the penny off beer tax.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The simplest tag for the UK/Euro economy is that we're financially screwed, and will be be financially screwed for the last 10 years of my working life.

No matter what words are used to describe the economic situation, we've seen the last of the never had it so good years in my working lifetime.

I think that it's all as simple as that.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

I think you're right, times they are a changin'.

Of course those of us approaching 'maturity' can look back and say we've lived through, and reaped, all the benefits - plenty of jobs, plenty to spend, worldwide holidaying, houses appreciating, index linked pensions (and now, bus passes et al.....).

I fear that our offspring will never hope to see such times, and I, for one, feel guilty about that.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"I fear that our offspring will never hope to see such times..."

And what makes you say that?.

I recall the days of no television, no expensive computer games or fancy gizmo's, two or more cars to a family, no overseas holidays, no NHS, and even food rationing. The list was endless, but we all seemed to manage, and come out of the burdens of World Wars.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

spuds

Well at least I put the "for the last 10 years of my working life." proviso in my post.

You are quite right though, things will eventually get better, after I've retired.

I'm guessing that you a (good) bit older than me speaking from a real post war experience:)

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

spuds

Much though it is always interesting to hear about the privations suffered and then the views through rose coloured spectacles - that was not what I was talking about in the quote you posted.

I wasn't saying that our offspring will not possibly be happy with their lot, just as you obviously were, the point I was making was that things like having full employment and the luxuries of life are likely to be vastly reduced.

This will be the first generation who will not be as well off as their parents - and that is something both they and ourselves will likely feel very bad about. Parents, since time began, have always aspired for their kids to become better off than them (whether by inheritance, education or endeavour).

Then again we are told we are now an 'Aspiration Nation', so that should make it all OK!! God Bless the spin merchants, at least we have become rich in meaningless jargon!

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Of course those of us approaching 'maturity' can look back and say we've lived through, and reaped, all the benefits - plenty of jobs, plenty to spend, worldwide holidaying, houses appreciating, index linked pensions

Of course not everyone of your generation enjoyed those benefits, far from it.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

oresome

*" not everyone of your generation enjoyed those benefits"*

Of course not, and I never meant that - it would have been stupid to claim everyone was better off.

I meant that, in the main, the economy of the UK was better (with some hiccups, naturally) for the average person from the 1960s to the millenium, and a bit beyond, than it's going to be for the foreseeable future for our kids.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED