We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I take it that nobody was overawed with the budget...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Well I for one will be at least £2 a year better off with the penny off beer tax.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I notice that Channel 4 did their 'in-depth what the public think' interviews in a boozer as usual. Even the landlord suggested that it won't make the slightest difference to his sales, because of the present climate and the way he is tied into present agreements.

Off now to get my media news, so as to see what the 'experts' have to say. I wonder if they will mention, that in twelve months time or less, most of us will have forgotten was as been promised, and just carry on as usual?.

I am just waiting to hear about the 'bedroom tax' debates, which might be more interesting. It did when Maggie Thatcher brought in a certain kind of Council Tax?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Who actually expects a pint to fall by 1p at their local?" Should I not make any plans on how to spend my £2 just yet?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Is it any wonder that there was, presumably, a reluctance to open a thread about the budget earlier!

With an honourable exception, everyone seems intent only on commenting about the beer 'reduction' of 1p (which, I guess, is exactly what Osborne wanted!!). Not even a pinprick in the Nation's financial problems, yet here we are falling hook line and sinker for it - we are so gullible!!

The usual 'smoke and mirrors' and manipulating figures to get a result you like (getting departments to 'push back' spending into the following year for example). Wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw them!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

The failure to increase the tax free allowance for OAPs in line with the increased allowances for other ages shows me that they are not worrying too much about the "grey vote".

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

As regards the beer tax id rather they had put that towards housing,education etc i seriously dont see the point,reducing vat would have been more welcome Crap budget nothing in it for the average person The young lady that stood up and questioned cameron about the bedroom tax and forcing unemployed to pay council tax was quickly passed over I am in a similar position,renting a 2bed house after splitting up with my wife 18months ago,made redundant just before christmas after 34yrs continuous employment I wanted a 2bed so my kids can sleepover on a weekend,now im jobless and on benefits theyre enforcing the bedroom tax,leaves me £80 a month short of the rent then as if thats not enough anyone unemployed is having to pay council tax,i know its not much,£5 a week but it is when you struggle to put food on the table

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

This was the budget that done absolutely NOTHING for most people, it was as far as I can see-saying- 'We've got no new idea's, so carry on the same.'

The only thing I noticed was about reducing Tax on 'Social Enterprises'

What exactly does that cover?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I am waiting for some financial wizard to find the catches in the small print.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i think he should concentrate more in getting the massive debt down

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'getting departments to 'push back' spending into the following year for example'

The optimist in me would like to think it wasn't that. I know the left is claiming that's how the underspend happened but this report says only £1.6bn of the £10.9bn results from timing changes.

I don't think it should be any surprise that there was so little in the budget. Osborne insists he's set the right course and is not going to change so there's little need (in his eyes) to tinker with taxation.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

fourm member

"Because I have a twisted mind"

With the greatest respect, I hope your detractors (I am not one!) do not remind you of this in future!

Re the Budget, the country in in a bind - our debt is too high and rising, so we need to raise taxes and cut expenditure, but politically neither party can provide a credible solution that is effective without great pain.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK