We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Enter our latest photo competition.

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

PC Advisor has teamed up with MAGIX to offer eight lucky readers the chance to win a copyof Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 2013,worth £69 each.

Photo & Graphic Designer 2013 is a complete solution for photo editing and graphic design. Take advantage of a high-performance program with a huge selection of photo and graphics tools. You’ll be amazed at just how fast and effective this program is.

For a chance to win, simply send us a copy of your favourite photo, whether it’s of a beautiful sunset, waves crashing on the beach, kids playing in the snow, or your dog snoring – whatever you like. Enter as many times as you want; all we ask is that you own the copyright to the photo.

To enter, simply tag PC Advisor in a photo on Facebook, or email [email protected]

facebook.com/pcadvisor

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Is there a closing date?

Is there a maximum file size?

If you send email to [email protected] is there a subject title specific to the photo comp?

If by email what additional info is required ie member ID or contact details?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Blackhat

Don't worry too much about a closing date - just submit when you're ready. We'll obviously have to have a cut-off date, and at the moment I guess 1st May would be reasonable.

Files should be jpegs Subject line - 'PCA photo comp' Name and email address required.

I should add that a condition of entry is that we have the right to publish the images in print and on-line at our discretion.

Many thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Given it a shot.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Just tagged PC Advisor into a few photos from my Facebook page, they're all my own work, and I own copyright, by I understand that they can be published in PCA if chosen

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

alan14

That is correct, it's normal for a Company/Magazine to display the winning image in their own Mag or on their own forum.

It's the bit at the end that I don't like (At our discretion)

However as there is no minimum image size or resolution stated it's probably not a problem, as a Jpeg of say 1500 pixels @ 72 PPI is not a lot of use to anyone.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

hssutton

"It's the bit at the end that I don't like (At our discretion)"

Why don't you like that? As you've acknowledged, it's perfectly normal where submissions to publishers are concerned. It simply means that we reserve the right to publish competition entries or not to publish them. There's nothing sinister about it. If you don't want to see your image in the magazine or on the website, don't enter the competition.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I've given it a try, but I don't hold out much hope.

Will be interesting to see everybody's efforts though.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

hssutton

My Facebook pictures are only 1280 x 850 at the most, and have all been subjected to Facebook's own compression, so not a lot of use to anyone. Most have also got my name on them somewhere.

To be totally honest though, I'm really not that precious about my photos, there's a few of the people who've liked my page who have taken some of the photos as their timeline images or they've shared them.

If I have any photos I'm really proud of I'll slap a watermark somewhere prominent

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

If I remember rightly we got some really good photo's in the last competition. Some really nice bird pictures etc... I am looking forward to seeing them. But wasn't there also a bit of a palaver over the rules or something? I hope that has all been sorted out?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

By what criteria are pictures being judged? Technical (focus/lighting/colour balance etc) or perhaps aesthetic value? Or something else?

And should images be original ones, or can they be 'touched up'?

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad