We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anybody recommend a good book or three? (Kindle).

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am looking for something in the same vein as Neville Norway Schute used to write. I have read all his books and wish he were still writing. But I also like other styles of writing and one I can recommend to others is one I have recently finished "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared" by Jonasson Jonas. The title put me off at first, but I enjoyed the history lesson and the crime. I also enjoyed the Lawrence Block "Hit Man" series and the Stieg Larsson "Girl" books.

Also has anybody changed over to the Kindle Paperwhite gadget yet? If so how do pictures and maps appear on it? Are they clear enough to see? It would be nice if Kindle could upgrade my keyboard model to a paperwhite job.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

al's left peg. Thanks for that and I shall look them up now. They sound a bit more lively.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

Bing,

If you do get any of them, let me know what you think.

Regards, Al.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

al's left peg.

I have just picked out "The Chinaman" but of course it will be a while before I get around to reading it as I am already in to something else. This Leather chappie seems to have written quite a lot of books and looking through the list on Amazon Kindle, I was surprised to find some are listed as being lusty, sexy type books. They will be no good to me at all as I am past all that rubbish.

When I have read the book I will certainly let you know what I think of it, probably in this thread if I can find it. So give me a couple of weeks.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

Bing,

I have read a good number of his books and can honestly say there is none of "lusty sexy" type stuff you mention in the ones I have read (at least ten of his titles).

There is a title called The Long Shot about a sniper and his target which was so analytical, after reading it I felt I could of picked up a rifle and used it to good effect. Enjoy The Chinaman when you get round to it.

Regards, Al.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you liked the gritty brutalness of Larsson's Girl books, you might also like Robert Ludlum's Bourne books, very gripping.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I've just given up on reading the "Riddle Of The Sands" book, I found it boring"

I'm sorry that it wasn't to your liking. It has been widely acclaimed for the quality of the writing, and was ranked number 37 in the Observer list of "The 100 Greatest Novels from the past 300 years".

It was also said to have influenced Churchill's wartime strategic thinking.

Books are like paintings - we don't all like the same thing.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...It is now in my folder of "Books I Didn't Like"

Can't the Kindle technology be used to re-order the words into something different? I'm betting that it wasn't the story that was boring, it was just that the words weren't necessarily in the right order for your liking...

On the subject of boring books, I've downloaded the Nuremberg Trial on audio book. As a reading book I'd have given up after 10 pages, but as a listening book, half an hour or so at a time is just about right to take in a bit of interesting, but deep history.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Have you tried the Scott Mariani Ben Hope series of action thrillers? You don't have to read them in any particular order and they are quite cheap for a couple or three days of reading. They're along the lines of the Bourne series with a government trained special opps man out in public.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As a result of this thread I downloaded and read "The Riddle of the Sands". It wasn't really to my taste and I can see why Bing.alau found it boring. It was written in 1903 and contains phrases that would not be permitted today and could be considered to be racially prejudiced. However it could be regarded as a commentary on social attitudes of the upper class pre-first world war one. I'm surprised that it reached no 37 in the ranking and I would not have included it at all.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"could be regarded as a commentary on social attitudes"

Mark twain's To Sawyer and Huck Finn books fit into that slot in a big way. I believe that they were reprinted recently without the original copious use of a certain verboten word which to my mind renders them totally benign as a social commentary of an interesting period in time.

Writing styles also change greatly, I recently gave up on re-reading Ivanhoe because of it's old fashioned Shakespearian writing style and admit that The Lord of The Rings (a big favourite of mine, if you hadn't guessed), can be hard going in it's Edwardian eloquent and gay (original meaning of) style when compared to the base grittiness of George RR Martin's Game of Thrones.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...