We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anybody recommend a good book or three? (Kindle).

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am looking for something in the same vein as Neville Norway Schute used to write. I have read all his books and wish he were still writing. But I also like other styles of writing and one I can recommend to others is one I have recently finished "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared" by Jonasson Jonas. The title put me off at first, but I enjoyed the history lesson and the crime. I also enjoyed the Lawrence Block "Hit Man" series and the Stieg Larsson "Girl" books.

Also has anybody changed over to the Kindle Paperwhite gadget yet? If so how do pictures and maps appear on it? Are they clear enough to see? It would be nice if Kindle could upgrade my keyboard model to a paperwhite job.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The FE's Riddle of the Sands recommendation is also available as a free audiobook with it being out of copyright. I've just downloaded it from here for car listening.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The Riddle of the Sands is also available as a free ebook.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You can download the ebook file from the same link.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've taken to audiobooks a lot in the last 6 months. I can take them in while resting my eyes.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Quickbeam. Not resting your eyes whilst driving I hope.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Only on motorways where there's nothing interesting to see like everyone one else does...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I've just given up on reading the "Riddle Of The Sands" book, I found it boring even though I thought it might liven up a bit by the time I got to 38%. It is now in my folder of "Books I Didn't Like". One man's meat is another man's poison I suppose.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I recommend, The Story of King Arthur and His Knights - by Howard Pyle.

BLURB on back-cover:-

'One of the key points in this book is Arthur's search for the answer to the riddle "What is it that a woman most desires?" with his life at stake.'

If you liked the film EXCALIBUR then you will really like this book as well, I reckon.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

I can recommend The Clifton Chronicles - Jeffrey Archer. There are five in the series and the third one has just been published. Outstanding you just cannot put them down.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

Bing,

take a look at an author called Stephen Leather. He is one of my favourites and his fiction is top notch. I especially like his early stuff so take a look for titles like The Fireman, The Chinaman, The Long Shot, Hungry Ghost and my favourite of his, The Vets. The Chinaman for instance follows the story of a Chinese guy living in London whose wife and daughter are killed in an IRA bombing in the capital. His efforts to bring those responsible to justice through the proper channels fail and leave him frustrated so he takes on the whole Republican organisation with devastating consequences. The way the author intertwines the characters and story make it a book you just can't put down. Have a look at the trial version available online, I bet you buy the full version. The Vets is even better taking on the slant of four ex Vietnam veterans who are duped into carrying out a plot by a former colleague back in Vietnam many years after the conflict had ended.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert