We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anybody recommend a good book or three? (Kindle).

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am looking for something in the same vein as Neville Norway Schute used to write. I have read all his books and wish he were still writing. But I also like other styles of writing and one I can recommend to others is one I have recently finished "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared" by Jonasson Jonas. The title put me off at first, but I enjoyed the history lesson and the crime. I also enjoyed the Lawrence Block "Hit Man" series and the Stieg Larsson "Girl" books.

Also has anybody changed over to the Kindle Paperwhite gadget yet? If so how do pictures and maps appear on it? Are they clear enough to see? It would be nice if Kindle could upgrade my keyboard model to a paperwhite job.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

Currently I'm revisiting Tolkien's Lord of the rings trilogy, I'd also second reading anything by Michener

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Of course I have read Sharpes adventure stories many years ago,"

Check an up-to-date list - he is still writing them.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

If you like Detective stories I can thoroughly recommend The Rebus tales by Ian Rankin, the Inspector Banks stories by Peter Robinson and the Inspector Grace novels by Peter James. My favourite Crime Fiction writer is the American Michael Connelly with his stories, set in Los Angeles, of Detective Hieronymous Bosch and a Lawyer Michael Haller. All good except the one set in Hong Kong which I thought was poor.

I have nearly given up books about wars but I was lent "The Eighth Passenger" by Miles Tripp and, as a result I bought "No Moon Tonight" by Don Charlwood. Both authors were RAF wartime Navigators in Bomber Command and both books present a true stories of the horrors of war. Tripp covers his tour of ops and what happened to his crew post war. I have never read a better book about Bomber Boys than Charlwoods, it is thought provoking and I found it quite upsetting, should be a compulsory read for all politicians.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have two favourites that might intrigue you. Not your normal line though.

The Master and Margarita. by Bulgarkov

My Family and other Animals. by Gerald Durrell.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you like a history lesson with a ripping good yarn, have you read Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth and World Without End cathedral books? He brings day to day life to life in the middle ages alive.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

In a similar vein is the Robyn Young Brethren series, which charts the fall of the Templar Knights. Plenty of blood, guts and gore, you'll want to be an anointed knight after reading these!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I just typed out a couple of paragraphs thanking everybody for their in-put to this thread. But somewhere along the line it disappeared. As I haven't got much spare time at the moment. I will just say to you all. "Thanks"

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Bingalau

I forgot this from a young successor in a certain unit! Not bad.

Duncan Falconer

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"But somewhere along the line it disappeared."

So did some of mine.

I had added that the Sharpe I am now reading, Sharpe's Devil, has him and "Mr" Harper in Chile, five years after Waterloo, looking for his old friend don Blas.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The Lifeboat - by Charlotte Rogan. Difficult to put down.

The Riddle of the sands - by Erskine Childers Beautifully written World war I spy story with a sailing connection. One of the best novels I have ever read. I think you would enjoy it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good