We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Marmite love it or hate it

hssutton

Likes # 0

New Zealand. Crisis that became known across the country as "marmageddon".

I can't stand the smell, so I've never tasted it, but in downtown Wellington buyers are being restricted to just two jars. How do you rate it?

Marmite New Zealand

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Following rather unpleasant treatment for throat cancer I was left with several permanent side effects one was an almost total lack of sense of taste which means nearly everything I put in my mouth tastes foul which coupled with my inability to swallow solid food makes for an interesting diet.

My diet is 99% liquid and tastes foul, just Google Fortisip for my dietary supplements. The 1% that is not liquid and but has to be taken with liquid is a biscuit (Carrs Melts)with a thick layer of Lurpaq butter and a healthy coating of Marmite. Now I have always been a fan of Marmite, on toast or with egg sandwiches but now it is one of only a couple of flavours I can actually appreciate. The other is lemon.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

Hope you get better and better. I have a different "C" form that does not affect taste buds, fortunately, but my wife lost her sense of smell after surgery. She can still taste Marmite however. I like Marmite on toast, and prefer it to Vegemite, the Australian competitor. My grand daughters like it on toast ,with or without cheese.

Another "love it or hate it" flavour is that of the Durian fruit - I quite like it...

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I love it - all my children got used to it at an early age with Marmite fingers. Two of them now live in Oz, and I have to send regular supplies. Vegemite just aint the same thing!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The only problem I ever had with Marmite was trying to spread it on toast. You tend to get a lot in one spot and none in another.

I found the answer. While the toaster is on, I take enough butter and mix it with the Marmite so I can spread an even layer of Marmite butter on the toast, quickly.

Marmite on hot toast - luxury.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Hot toast without Marmite - double luxury...

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

We are another Marmite loving family and on every visit to see our daughter in Texas we take another jar with us. And I agree that Vegemite bears no comparison to Marmite.

fourm member you are obviously then a hot toast man and with that I understand the problem of spreading Marmite onto butter that has soaked into the toast, my wife has the same problem. On the other hand I don't like my butter soaked into hot toast so I let mine cool a short while and that way the butter doesn't melt into the bread and the Marmite spreads evenly over the butter. Each to his own.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Yuk!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

It seems you have to be 'Stryne to appreciate Vegamite. They love it down there.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I am afraid that I prefer Vegemite to Marmite. However I must admit the my taste buds have gone for a ball of chalk due to my partiality to hot curries.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

awful yuk,Ade edmondson was on tv other day visiting the marmite factory,interesting how it was developed but no not for me

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more