We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Parking Eye Invoices.

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 1

I know that you have to pay fines to the Police and Local Authorities. Now Parking Eye is a private company that takes an image of your vehicle entering and exiting a car park. Should be accurate but sometimes not. There are ample warning signs showing the parking time limit. My question is this, do you legally have to pay their brightly coloured, "fine" looking, invoice? The parking is privately owned.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

rdave13

Under the data protection act anyone caught on CCTV in a public place has a right to access the recorded footage, so you can send a request to the owner of the system for a copy of your footage and recorded entry & exit times, and reputable company should really send time stamped photos with the ticket.

The rules for car park ANPR systems are that the entry and exit cameras should be time stamped using either the same time source such as a central NTP (Network Time Protocol) server, or regularly synchronise their locally held time from a time server, this way the period between the entry & exit can be accurately calculated.

The most common system used by councils & airports is supplied by a company called City Sync, and their cameras are so accurate that they can be used to measure speeds without the need for radar, although this feature would not be accepted in court I know of a couple of companies who have it installed and use it to check if staff are speeding on access roads.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

One thing that as not been mentioned in regards to the usage of 'Parking Eyes', is the people who use 'disabled or children space' parking bays.

A local well known store to me as had a number of problems regarding 'overstays' or supposedly 'non-display' of permits or badges in these areas.

Now people have to register their vehicles on departure from the store, yet I wonder how many people have forgotten to do this, and perhaps faced an 'invoice' in the post?.

The store simply states that its not there business, its for the 'parking agent' to resolve, when problems arise.

In the days of clamping, we even had a builder who removed a clamp from a young mums vehicle, because a clamper was getting rather out of hand. That resulted in a court appearance.

I was even on two occasions, involved with clamper's on private land, clamping vehicles and making on the spot charges. The clamper's had no right to be there, because the actual landowner knew nothing about them or their activities. Fortunately, the law as changed since that time.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

Unfortunately disabled bays have no legal standing on private land, so parking fees and fines can still be imposed

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

alan14, Thank you for your concise information regarding the 'rules' on companies that run ANPR systems. No doubt that ParkingEye follow these rules to the letter. However, the customer has some rights and to avoid that nasty 'invoice' arriving out of the blue, as it were,and disputes, I still strongly maintain that the practice of accepting a 'time' ticket on arriving, by the customer, and that same ticket time stamped on exiting should be mandatory. For, again, obvious reasons.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

BBC's Watchdog view, take note of the "Remember that the parking operator has to prove its case on the balance of probabilities." If you have a reasonable reason to dispute their charge, it can also cost them dearly to pursue the case to civil court. They rely on browbeating most into submission before the bother and risk of a court case.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...