We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Parking Eye Invoices.

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 1

I know that you have to pay fines to the Police and Local Authorities. Now Parking Eye is a private company that takes an image of your vehicle entering and exiting a car park. Should be accurate but sometimes not. There are ample warning signs showing the parking time limit. My question is this, do you legally have to pay their brightly coloured, "fine" looking, invoice? The parking is privately owned.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

It is a civil debt and non payment could result in bailiffs knocking on your door.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Have a read here

The answer is probably not.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

My post was incomplete - probably not if the fine was in some way unfair. Read the guide carefully, Parking Eye are approved operators.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Can Parking Eye legally penalize anybody by sending these invoices? Surely that should be up to the landowner to recover any losses by overstaying in the 'free parking' area (up to 3 hrs) and not up to PE to do so? They are simply agents working on behalf the retail park owners.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What I mean is do they have statutory authority to do so?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

rdave: I think that you can safely assume that Parking Eye are working on behalf of the Site Owners and that the legal Side has been sorted already.

However, it might be worthwhile contacting the AA and asking if they have checked Parking Eye's credentials.

As to potential inaccuracies, if you think that you can prove your point and have the necessary funds, why not go ahead and take them to Court!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

wee eddie , it's not me that's overstayed. I'm puzzled by your statment that one has to assume that the legal side is sorted. I can't get it around my head that a FREE service such as PE can issue invioces looking like 'fines' to customers of a retail park that overstay or sometimes re-visit the park.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I'm confused by what you mean by 'a FREE service'. Al94's link is quite clear that these charges are legitimate if the charge is fair.

'Fair' might be hard to establish but common sense should be a guide. If a parking area is provided for obviously short-term purposes, like a services area or a supermarket, then it is fair for the owner to discourage longer stays with a charge.

If it is a car park then 'fair' probably needs to be judged by the going rate for the area.

'Unfair', to me, would be a charge that wasn't clearly displayed or any indication that the parking was only provided for a limited period.

I think 'fair' also should take account of other people. If a supermarket is within walking distance of a railway station it would be unfair for commuters to take the supermarket places up to avoid paying for the station car park. The supermarket, in such a case, could say a 'fair' charge is higher than the station car park after a free period.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

ParkingEye system supplied free of charge . Click here. That means it lives off the fines it acquires?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I see. You mean it is free to the landowner.

You call it 'fines'. It could also be called 'parking charges'. As I said, the decider is whether the charges are fair.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

Watch new Grolsch ad that combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015