We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How good is your maths

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was asked if I had a HDMI cable which I do but they are not all the same obviously. I use HMDI as an example,the same applies to any connector.Here comes the maths bit. If there are connectors, one big and one small, one male and one female how many cables would be needed to satisfy any situation without inter connection or adapters. Long time since I studied maths but I make it 27,how about you? Now introduce a medium size and then what is the answer. Just a fun question. There is no doubt a formula for this sort of thing if anyone can remind me.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

marvin42
"I haven't had so much fun with maths in years."

Strangely, that would seem to make sense!! Might I suggest your next step might be some topological problems, to brighten up your life? (;-))

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FYI - A Mobius strip can be constructed by joining the two ends of a long, narrow strip of paper after giving the strip a half twist; a Mobius strip has only one side and one edge ... and no ends!

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Have you then considered what happens if you take a pair of scissors and cut along the centre line? Or along a line one third from the edge? What about 2 twists before sticking the ends together? etc ..etc

Lots of fun to be had!!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

marvin42. Yes I remembered quite clearly how many lines were produced in the any 8 from 10 entry (I did it every week for many years). I was just suggesting that the method could be used to find the solution.

I know the method was unnecessary in this instance but as everybody else seemed to be forwarding other methods I thought it was as good a solution as them.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

bumpkin trust me you would know if I lost my temper. I have a low tolerance for time wasting as it reminds me of many meetings that I sat in at work where the length of the answer was inversely proportional to the simplicity of the question. One of the reasons that I moved and worked in the USA was their "Can do" attitude rather than the "This is why we probably shouldn't do it but let's set up a committee first and decide later" attitude in our UK office.

I enjoyed your thread at the beginning, it was humorous and challenging and made me think hard about the answer and it was interesting to see how others got their solution but I found the interminable banging on about the various methods somewhat tedious which is why I called it piffle - perhaps waffle would have been more appropriate.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I do enjoy topology

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Chub_tor, that is fair comment, I think we all got a bit bored with it at some stage hence some of the sillier comments including my own. marvin2, why not start your own thread on topology it may be less confusing :-)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I used to think Topology was anythin' pertainin' to that yiddisha fiddler- on-the-roof chappie who sang " If I were a rich man, beedy-beedy-beedy-beedy-bum " :o)

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

bumpkin

spider9 brought up topolgy - my post was a joke!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

A JOKE!!! A Mobius strip is not something one should jest about.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...