We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How good is your maths

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was asked if I had a HDMI cable which I do but they are not all the same obviously. I use HMDI as an example,the same applies to any connector.Here comes the maths bit. If there are connectors, one big and one small, one male and one female how many cables would be needed to satisfy any situation without inter connection or adapters. Long time since I studied maths but I make it 27,how about you? Now introduce a medium size and then what is the answer. Just a fun question. There is no doubt a formula for this sort of thing if anyone can remind me.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bing.alau ... I used to do 'spot the ball' with the aid of an array of x's [about 100] which where preprinted ... saved a lot of bother when you had to count the number of x's if you had to do it by hand. The used to have spot the ball in the local newspapers' sport's section, but they don't do it anymore.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I don't suppose that you know the wiring configuration for genius mode offhand HB:)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

QB - I don't know the answer to that one ... but many people get brainwashed every day by the 'junk overload' that's on TV, I reckon.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

marvin42

You seem obsessed with the words, connectors, cables.

The problem was simply to connect two appliances together with wires.

If there are four types of 'ends' then you will need 10 wires to be sure of having a correct one.

If you have six types of ends (when 'medium' sizes were added) then you'll need 21 wires. It really is that simple, but if you want to continue stirring the pudding, feel free!!

I'm out!!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

John Bunyon, (How long is a piece of string?)That depends on several things, is it a short, medium or long piece of string, what sort of string is it and what is it used for, how many knots in it and what size are they. I think it is 10 or 21 units long but others may disagree.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

John Bunyan. I can say with certainty that it is shorter than 2 longer pieces of string.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

On the subject of strings & knots, I've always been entranced by the prestidigitations of magicians who can make knots disappear from a piece of string [a thick white cord usually for illustration purposes for TV] in the 'twinkling' of an eye ;o]

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Spider9 like you I'm out, we reached the solution to the original question by page 2. Since then it's just piffle.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

chub_tor, I did not start the "piffle" but I am guilty of responding to it in a light hearted way. Sorry you lost your temper.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Aw c'mon fellah's. The OP said this was a fun question so I've been having fun with it. Just as I get to your answer you give up.

spider9 you are quite right - I am obsessive - I can't help it!!

Most people on here are very practical (a very good thing) but I took my cue from the thread title and looked at it as a maths problem. Bumpkin's* clarified question simply asked what is 2 from 4 and the answer is 6 but this assumes only 1 variable. With cables you introduce the complication of 2 variables as a cable has 2 ends.

In my post of 3.16pm yesterday, I said 2 from 12 is 66 but some would be duplicates. My obsessive nature made me work this out:

6 of these are unique leaving 60.

Each of these 60 is replicated 4 times.

60 divided by 4 = 15

Add the 6 unique ones - 15 + 6 = 21

Bing.alau There are many ways of working out probabilities (Aitchbee showed 1 which works). I use the method I was taught around 50 years ago when I had a weekend job checking football coupons - Pascal's triangle. 8 from 10 is 45.

Many thanks to bumpkin for posing a very interesting question - I haven't had so much fun with maths in years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia